Originally Posted by Endofile
Totally unethical!!!! If you want to switch, go ahead and switch. Lying about it is just wrong and unfair to the breeder who sold you a dog in good faith. Give them the same respect they gave you!
♣ Laura ♣
Alright, so I realized as I left work this morning that my decision was made. I think it just took laying everything down in black and white to "spur me into action", so to speak.
I went out and got two bags of Orijen today, LBP formula, and the fish formula for Peanut.
The switch has started! I will see how they do on it, if they do well, Orijen stays, if they did better on TLC, I'll go back in a heart beat.
For the concerned breeders; I have no intention of being untruthful with my breeder. I have a great relationship with her. We get along so great (and have from the get-go) that I think it partially led me to let my guard down on many issues, hence the "hindsight is 20/20" comment. :-\
If it comes up, I'll tell her, and be upfront about my reasons why. I feel like I'm doing a good thing, I have nothing to hide. She knows that I want the very best for him.
It ultimately came down to the fact that I want to feel good about what I'm feeding them. I want to know that I am giving them the very best that I can. With TLC, I have never felt that. Yes, it's a good food, but it's not a great food by any means, and that fact has always bothered me a great deal.
I feel much better now.How did you find out about that!!??? Ah... my secret shame.... :-[ ;DOriginally Posted by gabbys mom
It's OK, Laura, I think he was just kidding. I think sarcasm is just sometimes hard to catch through text.Originally Posted by labby
OK here's the thing about TLC and I wasn't going to say anything, but here you go.
Your breeder gets kickbacks from you feeding the food. A certain percentage of puppies that she/he sends to them, they get money back on food, which to me, is totally unethical. That is why MOST breeders who feed this food (and I know one big mill in ontario does) demand that puppy buyers feed that food, and it ain't about nutrition, at least for them.
We are switching to Orijen as well.
If at most you get another puppy i'd say go with your gutt and research. At worse you are out the cost of a pup - it's not like they will help towards the cost of the surgery (knock on wood your pup will NEVER have problems anyway).
Two more in the orijen club! Rocky is in the middle of the switch
Charlie (foster) and Rocky
I think I'd want to ask why they recommend a certain brand as well. I know what Ca/P/protein/fat levels work well for my lines, and do cite the basics on my contract but don't require a specific brand. I'm with you on the health contract-- if I had a pup that developed a severe genetic issue, that breeder would be the last one I'd want a replacement from too! ??? -Anne
WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014
I appreciate the defense of my sarcasm. I was guilty this time, posting that comment was uncalled for. Ethics or not, to actually carry through with my suggestion iwould probably be illegal.
On a better thought out side, what we are talking about is trying to do the best for our pups. If the decision to switch is made, why not contact the breeder and tell them and ask for an exception or modification to the clause. If they refuse, it could be a good time to get their rationale and the possible start of some nasty name calling for relief.
Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.
Hee hee.... name calling..??? MOI..?? I think not.Originally Posted by Endofile
I am not going to bring it up with the breeder for a few reasons. 1) I won't ever be utilizing that health guarantee, so my breech of contract (or whatever you want to call it) won't ever be called upon. 2) I don't know yet how they'll do on Orijen, so we may still end up back on TLC anyhoo. (I hope not. :-\) and 3) I don't want to risk jeopardizing the relationship. She feels strongly about TLC, I think she's wrong. I don't think I could make her see why Orijen is better, so I kinda just don't want to "go there", know what I mean? :-[
Having said that, I will not Lie. If she asks, I will tell her, give her my reasons why and hope for the best.
Well that was an interesting read...
Kate, Saba is on TLC as well, and in the first year, I had switched him and tried other foods that I thought were better. I'm with you on 'realizing the guarantee" part. I'd never take a dog in replacement of mine. He's mine and that's it. In sickness or in health. So I think if there is a better food, you should not feel guilty about switching at all.
Saba unfortuantelly has a super senstive stomach and everytime I tried to VERY gradually switch his food, he'd be fine for a while and then he'd get the runs. So for now I still have him on TLC but I would also like to switch at some point. Just have to find the right food for him. Maybe this winter we'll try something new... Good luck, hope Baloo loves his new food and it will do him well
I think you're making the right decision. Please keep us posted on any changes + or -.
I just switched Boo to a higher quality food today and am pretty excited about the possibilities. Gotta do what's best for our boys. ;D
Katie and Boo