Uh Oh....Could This Be Her First Heat?

Thread: Uh Oh....Could This Be Her First Heat?

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

DefaultUh Oh....Could This Be Her First Heat?

This is my first puppy, my first dog, my first PET. She is 9 months old. Her breeder told me that all her girls have ALL been late bloomers......I think my puppy's mom was almost a year and a half when she had her first heat. So, this breeder really stressed not having her spayed until a year old. I am planning on listening to the breeder's advice. However. Lately I have noticed Breezy is acting differently. At first I was thinking maybe it's just her entering into her teenage rebellious phase. Normally she is not a barker at all. But tonight for instance, we were sitting out on the porch and she barked at every dog that walked by our house. Also, my husband noticed that every time she would bark, she would give off a certain scent. He made me smell her back and the top of her head. I didn't notice it as much as my hubby, but to him it was so strong he had to leave the room. (He is very sensitive to smells).
    She has been licking herself down there too. Is it time for me to do the daily tissue wipe on Breezy? Is it possible that even though all the other girls in her family are late bloomers that she will not be? Yikes! I'm not prepared for this. I was figuring on having her spayed at 11 or 12 months, like the breeder advised. Guess I'll have to wait and see............My little girl, please stay a little girl for a little while longer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Uh Oh....Could This Be Her First Heat?

Could also be one of those teenage goofy stages that they go through. If the smell is strong and musty, she's probably expressing her anal sacs during her excitement. I have a six month old that has been exceptionally laid back......until this week. She saw her reflection in a piece of glass on a cabinet and peed all over herself on Monday and again on Tuesday. : It wouldn't hurt to keep an eye out for tell tale signs of season.....swelling, bleeding, etc.......but this sounds like teenage behavior.

labby is offline Senior Member

Start wiping her daily. If you see any blood then she's in season.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Check her vulva daily and watch for swelling. That will come before the bleeding.

Just be sure to not let her out of your site if she is in heat or coming in soon (the licking can be an indication that she is on her way in). Take her out on a leash only.

The heat cycle is about 1 week coming in, 2 weeks of bleeding and one week going out so she must be supervised during that time.

You can buy doggy diapers at most Petco or Petsmart or the like to help keep the house clean when in doors. Line the diaper with sanitary pads - panty liners.

Just because her mother came in at 1 year to 18 months doesn't mean your girl will too.