Rediculously stupid question on growing and feeding
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rediculously stupid question on growing and feeding

DefaultRediculously stupid question on growing and feeding

Does how much food you feed your dog have any control over how large your dog becomes?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Rediculously stupid question on growing and feeding

For example. If I had a lab that I fed way too much, while he might get fat. Will he be any taller than a lab that is feed a smaller more appropriate portion?

labby is offline Senior Member

Depends on what you were feeding him. Back in the day I could always pick out a dog fed Eukanuba puppy. It was like 32% protein. The dogs grew rapidly and seemed taller than those in the same litter that were not fed that food.

No I don't have any scientific fact. Its all anecdotal.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

For example. If I had a lab that I fed way too much, while he might get fat. Will he be any taller than a lab that is feed a smaller more appropriate portion?
    I'd like to see Nick's response to this.

IMO, in general, as long as a dog is fed an adequate amount of kcalories with proper nutrients, I would not look for one that's fed more than needed to get any taller -- often heavier, but not significantly taller.

But if a dog is fed less than an adequate amount of kcals and needed nutrients for proper growth, I think you'd see a lessening of height.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

I'm not sure about this in dogs, but I don't see why it shouldn't be the same as in humans. In humans, assuming adequate nutrition and medical care and no extreme environmental stresses (like abuse, wartime, etc.), people will reach their genetic potential in height. I don't think that *over*feeding children makes them taller, but I'm happy to be corrected if anyone knows more.

I can see a reason for Laura's observation that more protein would cause faster growth, but my *guess* would be that the dogs would all end up in the same place.

Quote Originally Posted by theoconbrio
    I'm not sure about this in dogs, but I don't see why it shouldn't be the same as in humans. In humans, assuming adequate nutrition and medical care and no extreme environmental stresses (like abuse, wartime, etc.), people will reach their genetic potential in height. I don't think that *over*feeding children makes them taller, but I'm happy to be corrected if anyone knows more.

I can see a reason for Laura's observation that more protein would cause faster growth, but my *guess* would be that the dogs would all end up in the same place.
    Well I am open to discuss. Of course I don't know anything and am only trying to speak logically. But is it possible for a child during their growing phases to have adequate nutrition, but not optimal nutrition? There for would optimal nutrition place them in a better place for optimal growth?

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

I don't know. Maybe one of our M.D.s (like Cadey, although she doesn't seem to be around much these days) does. But I don't know what "optimal" is, either.

Quote Originally Posted by theoconbrio
    I don't know. Maybe one of our M.D.s (like Cadey, although she doesn't seem to be around much these days) does. But I also don't know what "optimal" is, either.
    Neither do I :

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Ridiculously stupid question on growing and feeding

I think you can look at a field of corn that's been planted using seeds having all the same genetic makeup.

Throughout the field, every one of thousands of corn plants grows to, say 7 feet/84 inches tall, with no more than +/- an inch separating the tallest from shortest. At the edge of the field, where salting from treating the roads in winter may leave lingering effects, or areas where water pooled and the plants nearly drowned, you'll see stunted stalks. But overall, there's remarkable uniformity despite slight differences in the field's soil (nutrition) from one spot to another.

Given adequate nourishment, the same genes grow plants to the same height potential. Given deleterious conditions, they do not. If you snuck into the field and gave one or a few plants in a particular area "optimal" nutrition, I doubt that the difference would be very noticable in height. Maybe it might have slight effects on how nutritious the kernels would be? -- or how resistant it was to drought? -- etc.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

it is said that the height of a dog is enitrely dependent on genetics. how fat he becomes depends on the amount of food he receives. just my two cents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast