What brand do you feed ?? Need a little help with coat.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What brand do you feed ?? Need a little help with coat.

DefaultWhat brand do you feed ?? Need a little help with coat.

I have 2 labs, 15 month chocolate & 12 month black.
    The chocolate has had some skin "allergies" and itching. Losing a little bit of fur.
    No huge bald spots, but it is thin in a few areas. The vet said we can do allergy testing
    if it gets any worse. Her eyes get red too. We do live in a high pollen area and
    allergies even for people are horrible around here.
    What food do you use that you know promotes and produces a good, healthy coat.
    Maybe even helps with the fur loss, itching.
    Maybe the food won't affect it at all, but even beyond the allergy
    issue, I'd like to get both pooches on a good, healthy diet.

Thanks,
    Gertie & Boo

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What brand do you feed ?? Need a little help with coat.

You're going to get different answers on food. Some people feed ProPlan, some people wouldn't touch it if it was given away free. Some people feed Innova and others wouldn't feed it if it were free. Confusing, eh?

I would first recommend a thyroid panel. Any time there are coat issues I first do that to see if "fixing" the problem is going to be as easy as giving a pill twice a day.

If there are no thyroid issues (and I only recommend a full thyroid panel from Michigan State), then I would probably start giving the dogs a can of sardines once or twice a week. Work up to a full can otherwise you'll see explosive fish diarrhea. The smell is not pretty.

What are you currently feeding your dogs?

Laura

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I would try a gain free food with one protein source (in case it is not grains causing the issues but a particular protein)

Natures Variety Instinct is a chicken based food. it does have some fish meal but further down on the list. My dogs are on this and 4 pups from last litter and all doing very well.

I have one pup from last litter on Evo doing very well but never had any issues to begin with. This food has a number of protein sources so IMO wouldn't be a good choice for you to start off with.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Puff eats Costco's Kirkland C&R supplemented by a daily Glucosamine & Chondroitin tab and a Fish Oil cap. (Kirkland is very similar to "Diamond Naturals", made by the same company.)
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I too would go with a full thyroid panel and if your going that step you may as just do the allergy testing. I spent way to much money and time doing the food trials, listening to food "experts", vets, feeding everything from Innova, Cal Nat, Hills, raw... for about 3 years before I fully allergy tested. I mean skin test and blood serum tested. Found out it was NOT allergies. Another year before we found out we had thyroid problems.

I now currently feed all my dog ProPlan. The two who were on Diamond are now on ProPlan. The only reason....cuz I can. I have been thrilled with what I saw in results in my old gals coat and condition on ProPlan and felt it warrented a try on everyone.
    Kim

Kinderwood is offline Senior Member

FWIW, I agree with Kim & Laura about getting a Thyroid panel. Thyroid issues can be the culprit for a lot of different skin & coat problems. It can also be the cause of chronic Staph infections and weight issues. So, it couldn't hurt to have a full panel run.

Having said that, I also feed ProPlan and am very happy with the results I see. However, every dog is different and you just need to find what works for your dog.
    Darcy Litzinger
    Kinderwood Labradors
    Piper, Faith, Mocha & Pink

In Loving Memory:

HIT UCD Bel Air Blue Chip Of Kinderwood CD RE JH CGC "Blue" 06/25/06-04/26/10

Thanks for the info. I've just been feeding IAMS and Boo looks
    wonderful. Smooth shiny soft coat. Gertie has always had a coarser
    type coat. I think I will try to blood work & allergy testing (I have a hunch
    it's allergies)
    What exact thyroid problems do they get. Similar to people??
    And is it treatable with meds? Costly?? (not that it matters...I think I'd
    saw off my right arm to save my dogs
    Also, allergy shots were suggested should it turn out to be that.
    Anyone take their dog for monthly allergy shots?
    Thanks for all the help so far.

labby is offline Senior Member

Yes they can get the same type of thyroid problems that humans get. The initial test can hurt financially (about $100) but the meds if needed aren't wallet draining.

Laura

JollyMolly Guest

Molly was like that when I first got her. Turns out she is allergic to corn and wheat. She gets Diamond Lamb and Rice and her coat is beautiful. We switched her to something else awhile back for a few months but she didnt do as well. My vet says quite a few dogs have wheat and or corn allergies. Always look for a food that had lamb, beef, chicken, or fish as one of the first ingredients.

Shelby is sensitive to certain ingredients as well. We have her on Castor & Pollux. She likes it & her coat is very nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast