When to neuter?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When to neuter?

Bentleysmom is offline Junior Member

DefaultWhen to neuter?

We're trying to figure out when to neuter our 6-month old yellow lab, Bentley. The vet says anytime after 6 months but my neighbor says that she was told not to neuter her lab until a year...something about their head getting blockier (they're both English labs) and their coat getting thicker if you wait.

Bentley's started exhibiting "behaviors" that lead us to believe that it may not be a bad idea to get him neutered sooner than later. However, one of his testicles still hasn't descended and, according to the vet, probably won't if it hasn't by now...which means more extensive surgery than just a typical neutering :-(

Any advice or insight?

Thanks!
    Jenn

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: When to neuter?

You will get a variety of different opinions. Some say 6 months, some say 12 months, others say 24 months. I don't think there is a "right" answer. All I will say is that I got my dogs fixed at 12 months because that felt like the right time. 'Boy problems' (excessive marking, lack of focus, serial humping, etc.) were becoming a serious PITA for us. Neutering reduced the 'boy problems' greatly.

The large majority of the board will side research supporting neutering the dog at 12-14 months or later if possible. This is mostly due to bone growth. Hormones close the dogs epethelial plates, if the dog is neutered before the bones finish growing they will grow longer.

There is also a large following to the theory (mostly FT/HT people) that neutering a male dog causes them to be lethargic, not respond to comands, and lose muscle tone.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

There is also a large following to the theory (mostly FT/HT people) that neutering a male dog causes them to be lethargic, not respond to comands, and lose muscle tone.
    A large FALSE theory (or should that be myth?) that should have been buried in a casket 20 years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    A large FALSE theory (or should that be myth?) that should have been buried in a casket 20 years ago...
    The theory is supported by very well respected trainers in the industry, who have academic credentials to match. I would also like to believe it isn't true. But its a THEORY that is out there.

labby is offline Senior Member

What behaviors is the dog exhibiting?

I tell my puppy people NOT to neuter before 14-18 months and they will void their contract if they do so beforehand. There is enough evidence to suggest neutering before the growth plates have closed can cause problems in the dog later on, both orthopedically as well as otherwise.

http://www.littleriverlabs.com/neuter.htm

Laura

The theory is supported by very well respected trainers in the industry, who have academic credentials to match.
    Who are they and what academic credentials do they have?

Without scientific evidence the 'theory' is utter BS.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I agree and recommend neutering 14 -18 months.

However, some vets want to go in earlier if there is a testicle that has not dropped. My vet says it will not be any easier to neuter earlier when having to go looking for that testicle.

It can be a case of the cord getting wrapped around an organ preventing the testicle from dropping and it will therefore atrophy (shrivel up).

In one of my pup's cases there was no vas defference (sp) and it was not overly difficult for the vet to find the testicle, just takes a bit more time.

Wow am I glad I read this thread!

We had been planning on getting Champ neutered soon (he is 7 months) based on information we had read from the local humane society and the like. I guess I should thank my DH for having an emotional attachment to Champ's 'manhood' (he was having a hard time with getting Champ neutered, which is really the only reason we hadn't gotten it done yet - I gave him until Champ was 1 to come to terms with it )

A quick (and probably somewhat stupid) question - at what age will the males be viable, for lack of a better word? In other words, at what age do I need to be very, very careful to keep Champ away from females in heat? He is in the house/a securely fenced yard when at home, so there are no worries about him getting out to get to a female, but we do take him to the dog park frequently. You aren't supposed to have females at the park who aren't spayed, and certainly not when they're in heat, but what you're not supposed to do and what people actually do aren't always the same.

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tricialeigh4jc
    at what age will the males be viable
    4-7 months.

Laura

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast