When to neuter? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: When to neuter?

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: When to neuter?

I don't think I got the PM, Tucker. No new PM's in my box.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Finnigan is offline Senior Member

I have a companion animal - no breeding or showing intended. I had him done at 6 months as that is what I had been told. Until coming on here I would not have known any different. Now having read past threads on this and understanding the reasons etc I still think I would do my boys at 6 months or so (and after a conversation with the vet), unless contracted otherwise. My guy is tall but no taller than other males I have seen - he is very slim and active and in comparison with my girl appears normal in height. We so far have had no joint problems but he is quite young so that could change quickly.(knock wood)

This also comes from babysitting a golden right now who is not fixed - as a result we have been very limited in our dog activities as in our dog parks no unfixed dog - male or female- are allowed in. I have also noticed marking by this dog (mine doesn't do that) and "re- marking" after one of mine pees. I also keep forgetting "they" are there and keep going to get the will-nots off his butT ;D!

Dani is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker
    Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    Tucker, I would hardly call me instigating a fight. And I am not in the minority. I guess having a 13 week old pup makes you an expert though, doesn't it? Oh, and you quoted Gabby'smom but directed your comment at me....WTF? :

Laura, you know I wasn't referring to you.

There ARE reasons to get it done earlier.
    Dani, please calm down. I never claimed to be an expert, I merely stated my observation on my readings on this board and others. This isn't my first dog by any means. I quoted Gabby's mom because it looked like you deleted your original comments while Gabby quoted them. Please don't be so defensive, no one here is attacking you.
    God you are fresh. Who's getting upset? You clearly are so closed minded on all aspects....every single one of your posts scream that. I didn't delete anything...Gabbysmom just quoted incorrectly. Seriously...pay attention. :
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jes's ortho vet advocates later neutering. I think most people involved in rescues advocate early-neutering. Certainly there are benefits to waiting, but I can also see why vets often recommend around 6 months considering the overwhelming incompetence of a lot of pet owners who can't seem to master the fact that dogs will procreate.

Great point Nick.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Nick stated it well. I will add that I have some really butt ugly head shots somewhere of some of my OWN male puppies who were neutered young. Big occiputs (cone heads!), droopy eyes since head didn't broaden and take up that "slack" in the skin, narrow fronts, no chests, and LONG legs........ I now heartily recommend in my contract to wait until 12-14 mos for males, preferrably 12 mos for females as well unless there is a good reason. My own vet encouraged another local owner of one of my pups to wait until he was closer to 17 mos to neuter as she too is a Lab breeder and knew he'd look alot truer if they waited. He also is a pretty mellow guy, no troublemaker for her, so it worked out fine.

As for the drive issue-- I'll let you know. One of my 2 yo males in a performance home was just neutered, and at last conversation, it had not decreased his drive one bit. How many Field trial males are neutered???? Quite a few from what I understand. I think dogs either have drive and confidence or not, testicles or not. I've heard that same "edge" comment from pro trainers... not sure I believe it after watching some other FT dogs that I personally could not live with. -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Dani is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by birdbrainz
    I think dogs either have drive and confidence or not, testicles or not.
    This is absolutely true Anne. Rider was neutered at 6 months (and I don't regret it a day...he's completely filled out for his line and looks just like his dad who still has his testicles), and his drive has never been compromised. He enters the water with gusto and the minute you hit the duck call he's on his game.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

I think it's best to do it between 6 to 8 months. That's the age we neutered our male and he's perfectly fine, he has never marked, he doesn't lift his leg when he pees, and his activity level is perfect. I don't think neutering has anything to do with blockiness - our male is very blocky. Another reason to do it young - if you wait the dog may need a testicular ablation too (where they have to go in and remove excess skin from the sack). I've had several adult male rescues that needed this done and it was not fun for them at all - quite painful and expensive. Most people in rescue would probably agree with this - if you had to see the faces of the 50 plus pure bred labs that get put to sleep every week in just my city's shelters, you would see why we advocate early neutering. I think the pros to early neutering far outweigh the cons - and a lot of the cons are just old wives tales.

VHLabs - my vet said the same thing. Our Logan is 4 months old and is getting neutered in a month. I was shocked when I started reading this thread and I was seeing numbers like 12 or 14 months. How do we know which one is the best?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123