When to neuter? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When to neuter?

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: When to neuter?

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker
    The large majority of the board will side research supporting neutering the dog at 12-14 months or later if possible. This is mostly due to bone growth.
    Um no...this is not true. A large number of ill informed peopel will wait. There is NO reason to wait after 6 months for companion animals, unless you have a breeder contract that states otherwise. You can't make a dog anymore "blocky" if it's not meant to be...not every "english" lab is going to be built in a certain way.

7 months is just fine.

Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

[quote=Dani ]
    The large majority of the board will side research supporting neutering the dog at 12-14 months or later if possible. This is mostly due to bone growth.
    [/quote
    You're awfully sure about what the "large majority of the board" would support without asking.

After working as a vet tech, I have very little confidence in the general pet owner. Frankly, that's probably 65-70% of dog owning population. I believe very strongly that vets push six month neuter/spay because they have looked at the data and said- " John Q. Dog Owning Public can't handle it. And 7 puppies being born and put into a shelter as a result of me telling this guy to wait is more of a crime than the potential for joint harm."

[quote=gabbys mom ]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    [/quote
    You're awfully sure about what the "large majority of the board" would support without asking.

After working as a vet tech, I have very little confidence in the general pet owner. Frankly, that's probably 65-70% of dog owning population. I believe very strongly that vets push six month neuter/spay because they have looked at the data and said- " John Q. Dog Owning Public can't handle it. And 7 puppies being born and put into a shelter as a result of me telling this guy to wait is more of a crime than the potential for joint harm."

Dani, don't instigate fights its not necessary. Just because you diagree with my observation doesn't mean its wrong, perhaps your in the minority?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Um no...this is not true. A large number of ill informed peopel will wait.
    I hardly consider myself ill informed. There ARE reasons to wait.

Laura

Dani is offline Senior Member

Tucker, I would hardly call me instigating a fight. And I am not in the minority. I guess having a 13 week old pup makes you an expert though, doesn't it? Oh, and you quoted Gabby'smom but directed your comment at me....WTF? :

Laura, you know I wasn't referring to you.

There ARE reasons to get it done earlier.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Tucker, I would hardly call me instigating a fight. And I am not in the minority. I guess having a 13 week old pup makes you an expert though, doesn't it? Oh, and you quoted Gabby'smom but directed your comment at me....WTF? :

Laura, you know I wasn't referring to you.

There ARE reasons to get it done earlier.
    Dani, please calm down. I never claimed to be an expert, I merely stated my observation on my readings on this board and others. This isn't my first dog by any means. I quoted Gabby's mom because it looked like you deleted your original comments while Gabby quoted them. Please don't be so defensive, no one here is attacking you.

I am by no means an expert and had no clue otherwise when I did it, but I got Riley neutered at 6 months. He is now a little over a year and TALL. By tall I mean 26-27 inches at the withers. I have no idea if this is due to the fact that he was neutered early or because his parents were large, out of standard labs, which they also were. However, I don't remember them being THAT tall, and if I could do it again, I would wait until he was a year to have him neutered. He is NOT, however, fat or lazy. He is very lean and will go all day if I would let him. On the flip side, he has never shown any dominance or even tried to hump anyone. He does mark occasionally, but I would not say it's a problem. He is also one of the most laid back dogs I've known.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Tucker, I am still interested in seeing studies to support this:

The theory is supported by very well respected trainers in the industry, who have academic credentials to match.
    And the names of the trainers who have the academic credentials to match.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    Tucker, I am still interested in seeing studies to support this:

The theory is supported by very well respected trainers in the industry, who have academic credentials to match.
    And the names of the trainers who have the academic credentials to match.
    Trickster I sent you a pm yesterday regarding this. If the fact that I have withheld names discredits the "theory" so be it.

WOW!!!. my vet likes to neuter at 4 months.. All my dogs have been done at that age and all are doing well.. My oldest is 9 years old with no bad affects.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast