Astounding improvement in a Lab's joints, movements.

Thread: Astounding improvement in a Lab's joints, movements.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultAstounding improvement in a Lab's joints, movements.

Topeka, KS, is the home of Hill's Science Diet, a food which JL members often do not rate among the better (but which SD promotes many vets to sell).

SD also makes Prescription Diets (PD) which has many variants (h/d heart, i/d intestinal, k/d kidney, etc.) which are usually available only on prescription and through vets.

I know several people who work at Hill's and who have Labs. One is a vet who attends our weekly LabFests and the other, Brian, is an IT person who helped me start our weekly LabFests 5 years ago. Puff and I met Brian and his Lab, Jessie, on our early morning walks in the nature preserve where we walked together almost every morning for several years.

Jessie is now about 8-9 years old and Brian and Jessie stopped coming to LabFests or walking mornings about a year ago when Jessie began getting progressively gimpier and limping with every step.

So I was very surprised to meet Brian and Jessie on a trail in the nature preserve this morning. Jessie had lost a little weight and -- surprise!! -- was walking without limping, even running a bit with Puff!

I asked Brian what happened and he said he was feeding Jessie "J/D" (Hill's Joint diet for arthritic dogs) plus alternating it with R/D (restricted, reducing diet). He said the j/d had a lot of fats/kcals and tended to put on weight but the r/d helped take it off so they were alternating the two.

I've occasionally seen TV ads promoting the benefits of j/d but thought that was just hype.

But after seeing Jessie's activity this morning, I believe!

I am wondering what j/d has in it that helps so much -- is it anything much different than the G&C tab I give Puff every day? Don't know. But for those with a gimpy dog -- you might try it.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Astounding improvement in a Lab's joints, movements.

I'm glad it's helped him. I wonder if it was the extra weight that was affecting him as well.

Jessie is a "her." ;D I'm sure the trmmer weight helps some -- but not THAT much.

My impression from Brian is that she gained weight on the "j/d" which they'd decided was really helping her so then they began alternating it with the "r/d". The next time I see Brian, I'll ask him if he'll clip off the ingredient list on the "j/d" so I can see it.

I don't feed Hill's Science Diet, I feed Costco's Kirkland C&R (similar to "Diamond Naturals", both made by the same company). I have fed one of Hill's Prescription Diets ("i/d") when it was briefly prescribed for an intestinal problem.

The change in Jessie was so striking, I felt obliged to post about it just in case someone else with a gimpy, limping dog might want to try it.

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I won't lie and say this is my favorite brand of food but I have fed a Prescription Diet to our beloved decesed Lhasa for about 8 years. She had some bowel disorder than nearly killed her twice. She was put on one of the formula's at about 8 years old and lived another 8 and never had another problem. I am not sure what she had but her bowel would inpact and become obstructed.
    Kim

Caseys Mom Guest

Bob -

You can read about the j/d here:
    http://www.hillspet.com/hillspet/pro...45524441776675

and the r/d:
    http://www.hillspet.com/hillspet/pro...45524441782848

Offhand, the protein level of the j/d looks awfully low to me and the ingredients in the r/d look downright yucky :P but if they've improved Jessie's quality of life so much, that's hard to argue with. Did you happen to ask her person if he was giving her any other supplements?

One of my past Labs was on the i/d diet for over a year after an acute attack of pancreatitis. I wasn't too thrilled when my vet (who, btw, doesn't sell dog food) said that's what I should feed her but she ended up doing just fine on it.

Thanks, Lynn (C's Mom).

I'm giving Puff one Costco/Kirkland G&C tab a day and also one of their Fish Oil caps. From what your link to Hill's P/D says, that must come close to what they have in their j/d.

From knowing a few Hill's people in my practice some years ago, I gained the impression that the P/D line then was fairly distinct from the general Science Diet line. They also have (or maybe HAD?) a division dedicated to specialized diets for different species of zoo animals and also for their ailments.

When (1981) my Bess developed her terminal heart and kidney problems, our vet at KSU's CVM prescribed a P/D to ease her condition (either a k/d or a h/d) and it did seem to help her through her last months.

FWIW, I don't think Science Diet is one of the better foods one can feed one's Lab. BUT their specialized Prescription Diets have few equals. I think Eukanuba is trying to develop some special diets for common medical conditions to compete with Hill's P/Ds but I don't know how far they are along with that.

Did you happen to ask her person if he was giving her any other supplements?
    I did not but the next time I see him, I'll ask. My hunch (from knowing Brian) is that it's just the foods.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

The link seems to promote the high content of EPA which probably can be added to any diet with a high quality fish oil.

Bob, I understand the reason you posted this (just to inform) but I just can't get over the first 10 ingredients, which is the reason I dislike SD so much, even though I could use a formula that would help gimpiness with my Maddy:
    Ground Whole Grain Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Flaxseed, Soybean Mill Run, Brewers Rice, Soybean Meal, Peanut Hulls, Chicken Liver Flavor, Fish Oil, Pork Fat

There are only 3 ingredients I would tolerate in any food, and oddly enough, and unfortunately, no meat fell into those 3 "OK" ingredients...

And Peanut Hulls just makes me upset every time I read it. We have dogs. Dogs are carnivores. I can't imagine a dog willingly eating peanut hulls unless it's one of those poor dogs you see on one of those Animal Cops shows....

Jen, I do hear you. What they're putting in it doesn't appeal to me, either, but golly!, has Jessie's movements improved and I had to mention it.

If someone has a gimpy Lab from arthritis, it may be worth a try.

But I'm hoping Puff's daily G&C and Fish Oil makes it unnecessary for her.