Laryngeal Paralysis

Thread: Laryngeal Paralysis

My Golden Kokeea is offline Junior Member

DefaultLaryngeal Paralysis

Hi All!
    New to the site. My 12 year old Lab was diagnosied with LP. Anyone else have this problem?
    Thanks so much!
    Lisa and Kokee

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Laryngeal Paralysis

Laura

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I went thru it with my first lab, and it too came on late in life. There's the LP list, but in all honesty, it was pretty much a pro-"tieback" surgery group when I was there. I didn't want to put Winnie thru that, and just managed it myself. With tieback, their swimming days are pretty much over, as the risk of aspiration pneumonia increases w/ tieback. Her 12+ yo daughter is now showing a little sign of it too, but one thing I've noticed has helped is a benedryl in the am and pm w/ her food. She'd been mouth breathing more, so I think there's something in the fall air that she's sensitive to. Her mom also responded to the benedryl. There's also a cough med w/ a tiny bit of pred in it that helps some dogs. I can't remember the name of it offhand but ask your vet. Good luck.... -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Hi Lisa! Our Mick was diagnosed with LP when he was a little over 11 . Our vet told me if Mick were his dog, he wouldn't opt for surgery, but would make lifestyle changes. I never regretted following that advice. Mick lived another 4+ years before we had to have him pts last year. Mick was already on ArthriSoothe and MSM when he was diagnosed. I kept him on that, and, over the years, added a few other supplements to help slow down the muscle waisting that comes on with LP. The supplements I added were Cholodin, Biotin and vitamin B complex. The last year or so I also fed Mick a 50/50 mix of adult and puppy food. The first lifestyle change we made was to switch to using Mick's tracking style harness for walks instead of a collar. I also started carrying a spritz bottle anytime Mick was with me. It was much easier to give him a quick drink that way. We also discovered the swallowing motion helped a minor LP episode end. We found that, in addition to heat, extreme cold and wind (even on a warm day) would bring on an episode. So Mick got a simple coat for his birthday one year, and I made a scarf for Mick that I put on him on windy and/or extremely cold days in the winter (we live in NW New Jersey). Oh, that spriz bottle? We kept it in the fridge so it was handy. Raising the food and water bowls helped Mick swallow. My vet had suggested feeding multiple very small meals so Mick would eat slow, too. I was already feeding him in a dish that was 10 inches wide, which spread out the food in a thin layer to slow him down. The vet liked that idea, too. One mistake I made was when Mick was first diagnosed, I stopped doing everything with him. This was a dog that loved going places, obedience work, etc. It took me a few months to get it through my head that I should follow Mick's lead, and do things at his pace. Instead of going to training classes, we certified as a therapy team, and he visited the school where I work for 2 years. Our obedience "work" became a couple of recalls, or a quick trick or two. I think one of the most important things to remember is that when/if your dog is having an LP episode, don't panic. I know it's hard, and I sure paniced the first time it happened. But that only made things worse. I found that by staying calm, talking to Mick, petting, snuggline with him, etc, it helped him calm down so the episode would end. Guess I've rattled on enough. Hope you can find something usefull from all this.

My Golden Kokeea is offline Junior Member

Thank you so much!!! Mick sounds like he was a wonderful dog and very blessed to be in your family. My girl Kokee has been a life savior for me! I suffer from severe depression and she has always helped me through my most difficult days. I am a nurse too, so I feel that I don't usually panic to much with the episodes. She is in the early stages and we have had not to many problems yet. She loves walks and the ocean. We live in Northern California so we don't get the extreme cold, but the heat. I have started to keep fans on in the house where she is and when I work she has an indoor out door pen that is in our garage. I put a fan in the garage on hot days. She has been on aspirin, glucosamine and MSM for a few years now for arthritis in her knee from surgery when she was younger. I will switch to a harness for walking. Thanks for the idea. What a great web site.

For Now Lisa

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Before I forget (again!).... the drug I was thinking of was Temeril P. :
    It helped Winnie out. It's a cough med basically.
    I agree w/ Mick's mom. Just slow things down a bit (the dog usually does that for you) and use your head about doing too much in the heat. -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by My Golden Kokeea
    Thank you so much!!! Mick sounds like he was a wonderful dog and very blessed to be in your family. My girl Kokee has been a life savior for me! I suffer from severe depression and she has always helped me through my most difficult days. I am a nurse too, so I feel that I don't usually panic to much with the episodes. She is in the early stages and we have had not to many problems yet. She loves walks and the ocean. We live in Northern California so we don't get the extreme cold, but the heat. I have started to keep fans on in the house where she is and when I work she has an indoor out door pen that is in our garage. I put a fan in the garage on hot days. She has been on aspirin, glucosamine and MSM for a few years now for arthritis in her knee from surgery when she was younger. I will switch to a harness for walking. Thanks for the idea. What a great web site.

For Now Lisa
    You're very welcome, Lisa. Yeah, Mick was pretty wonderful. I know everyone thinks their dog is exceptional, but when other people say it you know you're right. Even before he was certified as a therapy dog, he made regular visits to school. We did a lot of responsible dog owner visits, and he marched in the Halloween parade with one of the teachers for almost 9 years. He really was considered one of the staff. He was there for me when my youngest sister was killed in a car accident 11 years ago, and even more so when my father and our 1st grandchild passedg away 2 months apart while my husband was in CA on business (he was there for weeks at a time). We miss him like crazy.

2Labs4G is offline Junior Member

God bless you ALL for the helpful information