help! my 6 month old pup swallowed 2 bullysticks in last 24 hrs.

Thread: help! my 6 month old pup swallowed 2 bullysticks in last 24 hrs.

Defaulthelp! my 6 month old pup swallowed 2 bullysticks in last 24 hrs.

i've given my pup Storm bullysticks since we have had him and i would always throw them away when they get too small for him. small enough that he might swallow them. last week i threw away 2 bullysticks that were about 4 inches long.
    yesterday i bought a new 3-pack of the 8 inch long bully sticks. i gave him one of them and he was chewing on it for about an hour and then i took him out for a walk. a few hours after i returned from the walk i was wondering what happened to the bullystick cause i didn't see it anywhere. it's not uncommon for Storm to lose the bullystick under a chair, or the stove or somewhere else like that.
    so today i went looking for it with a flashlight and i couldn't find it anywhere. i decided to give Storm another bullystick because i figured the other one would turn up sooner or later.
    so tonight i'm sitting watching him knaw on the bullystick like crazy. he really loves those things. i seen he chewed it down to about 4 inches and then all of a sudden it was gone. i looked away for aminute and looked back and it was gone.
    i assume that is what happened to the first bullystick i gave him yesterday.
    i realize that the bullysticks are 100% digestable . should i be worried that swallowing 2 of these sticks could cause a blockage or something in his digestive tract?
    after swallowing the one last night, he seems fine today. he went poop today and ate like normal.

[attachment deleted by admin]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jlab Guest

DefaultRe: help! my 6 month old pup swallowed 2 bullysticks in last 24 hrs.

As long he's pooping and not trying to throw up he should be fine. Watch him closely and if his energy level changes (he gets very lethargic) and he doesn't want to play like he normally does, then you should take him immediately to the emergency vet.

The more of these things he eats whole especially with all the other bits of sticks, pieces of carpet, stones, etc. that pups get into, the greater the risk of blockage. They all get tangled up together to form a blockage.

From now on, take them away when they get small enough to swallow.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

This same thing happened to my pup---twice---so I no longer give her bullysticks. I would try to take the bully stick away from her when it got too small and she would swallow the thing whole. I was a nervous wreck. I called the vet and she said to keep an eye on her, and luckily she was fine. But, she did have diarrhea for the next few days. I would do what the others have advised......keep an eye on your pup and if you notice any of the warning signs, call your vet ASAP. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

UPDATE on my Pup Storm swallowing 2 bullysticks:
    he had really loose poop yesterday. but not quite diarhea. he seemed to have an itchy but yesterday too. besides those 2 things, he seems to be fine.
    he pooped twice today and both were firm and like normal. he's eaten like normal and has usual energy level for a 90* day.
    thanks for all the feedback and concern. if i decide to get him more bullysticks, i will get the x-large size and toss them before they get small enough for him .to swallow

[attachment deleted by admin]