What age to feed adult food?

Thread: What age to feed adult food?

DefaultWhat age to feed adult food?

My puppy is about 6 1/2 months old, and the last month or so he seems to be shedding alot more and has been also having some flaky skin on his rump. I spoke with someone at a specialty dog food store in my area, and they suggested that I stop feeding him Canidae and start feeding him California Natural Adult dog food ( the fish and sweet potato ), What are your thoughts on the best age to switch to an adult food?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What age to feed adult food?

I don't really have any suggestions for brands. Find what works for you and use it, but I am in the process of putting my 5 1/2 month old pups on adult food now. When we finish this bag of puppy food, they should be weaned to adult.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I recommend a switch to adult at 6 months.

While Calif. Natural is an excellent dog food the adult formulas are only 21% protein and not hi enough for a growing Lab. Nor is the fat at 11%. Dogs draw their energy from fat unlike humans.

I would find an adult food with good quality ingred. that is closer to 26% protein or higher. and around 15% fat

The grain free foods are higher but most are too hi in calcium for a six month old. Although Orijen is lower calcium at 1.4% to 1.8% as opposed to others at 2.49% and 3.03%.

Evo states not to feed a growing pup their grain free food but wait till 1 year old / dog at adult weight.

I do know breeders feeding the Orijen to all ages and growth rate is good.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I switched Riley when he was around 6 months, and we had good luck with Canidae All Life Stages until just recently. He's a year now and on Innova Adult.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Canine nutrtional studies that I've seen recommend feeding a LBP formula for the first 12 months of life.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

We switched Champ to adult dog food at 6 months, based on a little bit of research on dog food quality (http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com has some good info and reviews of a wide range of dog foods) and lots of info from this board.

Question, though - I didn't think Canidae made a puppy food? So if you're feeding Canidae, aren't you already feeding adult dog food? (Not trying to discourage you to switch - I'm of the "feed what works for your dog" mentality - but just a bit confused by the original post).

Also - you may want to be sure that the itching isn't an environmental allergy, rather than a reaction to the food. Champ recently had a bout of the itchies, and it turned out he was allergic to a bush in our yard.

I did look up the California Natural Herring and Sweet Potato, and it looks like an allergy formula (very simple, few ingredients) so that may be why the food store person recommended it.

I guess I would talk to your vet to see if they think his shedding/flaky skin is a food allergy, an environmental allergy, or something else.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I'm switching Remington to Evo now. He is almost 8 months old. Time for the big boy food

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Canidae is not a good formula for my puppies-- the calcium and phos levels are too high for uniform growth, despite claims of it being an "all stage" food. My adults do great on it though. My pups are fed Euk LBP for the first year, until growth plate closure and have grown quite uniformly on it (very scaled down in Ca/P levels). What does your breeder say??? Some lines do better on different foods.

I also wonder if he's just getting ready to shed? That will cause itching and dandruff. Or maybe he just needs a little more fat in his diet. I add a fish oil cap to each meal here. It's also good for their immune system. -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014