skin cysts

Thread: skin cysts

lab13 is offline Senior Member

Defaultskin cysts

Does anyone know what causes skin cysts ? My lab has started to devolope these in the past year. Would more fat or less fat or something added to her diet help prevent these? We are removing them as we aren't sure with her history of mast cell tumours just to be sure. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jlab Guest

DefaultRe: skin cysts

I don't know the answer to your question since I've gone through this same thing years ago and asked a number of vets this question and all they do is shrug their shoulders. But I can still speculate, can't I?

My first lab (female black) starting getting these all over her body as she grew older. At first I was really concerned and had the vet remove them. Then as they became more numerous, if they were not in an annoying place (e.g., armpit), I would just leave them alone. Sometimes they would go away on their own but most just stayed the same.

I really think (speculating now) that these cysts are a manifestation of an existing genetic predispostion for Labs and some other breeds. I don't think that they can be prevented by diet although diet and other environmental factors might have an effect on their expression as they grow older. It appears that labs bodies don't have any effective mechanism to remove these lumps so I don't think improving or changing the diet would have any effect.

I have not asked this question of any holistic vets. Perhaps some of our members that have a working knowledge of holistic medicine will post a response. I know that for other things where conventional veterinary medicine does not have an answer, practitioners of holistic medicine many times are providing effective treatments and recommendations for prevention. They seem to look at the problem from a different perspective.

Darn, it looks like she has another cyst just beside a bit the incision where the last one was removed about 4 weeks ago. I guess it could also be a bug bite. The bioposy came back that the first one was a cyst . I wish we knew why she is getting these . She is 5 1/2 yrs old a choco lab.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

My son's 6 year old yellow started getting them about a year ago. Vet apsirated and they were all (6) fatty cysts. Since then he has gotten a few more with the same result. They don't seem to bother the dog, so they are being left alone. Cost is an issue so the surgery $s will be saved if something not benign shows up.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

These aren't fatty cysts but sebacous cysts. My other lab has fatty lipomas which are different then these cysts.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I couldn't remember the proper name. You are correct.

'These aren't fatty cysts but sebacous cysts. My other lab has fatty lipomas which are different then these cysts. '

Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.