another UTI for us too

Thread: another UTI for us too

ArichMykal is offline Senior Member

Defaultanother UTI for us too

Maddy has another UTI. We don't know she has one until she is dripping blood. She doesn't show any signs prior to this symptom and it has been happening every 10 to 12 weeks since we got the puppy, who is now 7m old. Maddy is incontent and on estrogen and proin for that but these UTI's are awful. The put her on Primor today for another one and we scheduled a bladder u/s for the 27th to make sure she doesn't have stones. I am going tomorrow to buy chewable acidopholous for the kids and I may just pick up 2 bottles, 1 for the dogs and 1 for the kids. Also what is the recommended dose for cranberry pills for a dog as I will pick up some of those too.

Thanks in advance.

Jenny

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

PhilDenis is offline Member

DefaultRe: another UTI for us too

Hi Jenny,

Sorry to hear about that. I feel your pain, our little girl had a nasty UTI 3 months back. I can't recall what meds the vet gave her but as soon as we stopped, bam, it came back.

I see that you have heard about the cranberry and we can vouch for those. We started giving her those instead of all that medicine and they worked wonders. We gave her (and still do) one capsule a day and there hasn't been a problem since.

Hope they help!
    Phil

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

I talked to the vet last night about Gabby's. They suggested that dogs that are spayed can be incontinent (as you found out). These incontinent dogs need to be wiped regularly with baby wipes (after they pee, and multiple times throughout the day) because they are actually dribbling little amounts throughout the day in the house, etc, that is just sitting on them- which causes a build up of bacteria.

I'm not sure how accurate that is for your dog, just telling you what I was told. :-[
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Nick is offline Senior Member

You may want to try adding some glucosamine (don't worry about the chondroitin). The lining of the bladder produces glycosaminoglycans (of which glucosamine is a precursor), and there is a theory that it may help replenish that liner and reduce bladder infections. Because glucosamine is safe and doesn't carry any side-effects, it may be worth a shot in addition to the other things you're doing.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

This sounds like a severe infection that keeps returning. Has the vet done a culture and sensitivity at the lab? Or drawn urine directly from the bladder (cystosentisis)? IMO this should be done. I've been thru re-curring UTIs and this finally solved our problem. It takes 3-5 days to grow the culture and get results from the lab.

This C/S helps pinpoint the exact bacteria causing the infections and enables the vet to give the proper med and dosage to get rid of all the bacteria.

Once you take a sample back after meds and it comes up negative than you should start her on the crancaps.

I give 2100mg capsules. I also check dogs urine PH weekly and if it is elevated (5.5 - 7 is normal) I dbl up on crancaps for a week or 2 and check again and PH is usualy back to normal.

I have cleared up minor UTIs with dbl. dose of crancaps in the past and am in the process of doing it now for one of my dogs.

With a severe case it will be necessary to give the proper antibiotics to get rid of it. The crancaps won't be enough. But you can ward off infections in the future with it along with live organism (need refrigeration) probiotics.

Good luck with your girl. I sure hope you get it straightened out soon so you can get it under control and not have to keep giving antibiotics.

Yes we did the culture each time and have put her on the right antibiotic each time. I didn't know what dose of crancaps to put her on when I go to the health food store. I buy the probiotics that are children's chewable instead of the refridgerated kind. They work just as well for the kids so I am hoping they will for Maddy. She weighs as much as my 8yo which is 44lbs. We will be doing a bladder u/s on the 27th to look for stones. Then they said we would have to change foods to science diet something or other but she has been on Chicken Soup since we got her December of 05 so I don't think it can be her food since she didn't get the first UTI until Feb 07. Oh well hopefully we can figure something else out.

Thanks

Jenny

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Your vet wants her on this SD food to prevent future stones.

I would think there must be some type of holistic treatment to prevent stones rather than feeding the SD.

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=6&gl=us

"For those that are prone to producing bladder stones or gravel, Couch Grass is a good herb to give to aid in the dissolving of calculi or gravel. In addition a Chinese herb called Lysimachia is very helpful for treatment as well as for prevention of stones. Vitamin B6 should also strongly be considered. Many studies show it has good effect in preventing stone production. "

More info here:

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=8&gl=us

and:

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.co...#bladderstones

From what I am reading grains in food can be a contributing factor to bladder stones and not enough water in the diet and more protein is needed. You may want to consider a grain free food.

How old is your pup? Age will depend on which grain free food to choose.

Evo
    Nature's Variety Instinct
    Orijen

Yes that is what the u/s is for to make sure no stones but the vet isn't going to switch foods unless there is evidence. You are right I wasn't going to do the science diet because she is on chicken soup now and I do not want to go to a worse quality food.

Maddy is 2yo so I can almost switch to anything I am assuming. She is a lab mix and when weighed weighs in between 44-47lbs tops. My thinking is how can it be the food when she has been on the same food since she was 8m old only the puppy version then. The other thing is we had her for over a year and she never got one UTI and now since February when we got the puppy she has had 3, basically every 10wks. She has free access to water except for overnight since she is on meds for incontence. Hopefully we figure something out.

Thanks for you links and advice.

Jenny