another UTI

Thread: another UTI

Defaultanother UTI

Gabby just got another UTI. This is her fourth in the last eight months.

She's on 500 mg of amoxicillian for ten days. The urine was collected directly from her bladder as to prevent contamination.

I need some more prevention ideas, if you have them.

This is what we are currently doing:
    - She goes out every three hours, except at night. If we are not home, she goes to daycare or my mom's because it seems that if she has to "hold it" she gets a UTI. (She's lucky that we're students right now!).
    - She gets yogurt.
    - She gets cranberry pills.
    - She does not have an innie and she is spayed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: another UTI

Do you wipe her after every pee?

Quote Originally Posted by kiddsmom
    Do you wipe her after every pee?
    Nope. The things above were the only things the regular vet and the holistic vet had recommended- so were the only things we have done so far.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I second that, try keeping a box of baby wipes at the door and just wipe her as she comes inside, and during the day when you think about it.

Does she swim in dirty water at all?

Quote Originally Posted by luvmydogz2much
    I second that, try keeping a box of baby wipes at the door and just wipe her as she comes inside, and during the day when you think about it.

Does she swim in dirty water at all?
    Oh, jeez, that totally could be it- I wouldn't classify it as "dirty" - but I definitely wouldn't classify it as clean, either.

She swims in everything she can get into, most of it is lake water.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Did they send her urine sample out for a culture and sensitivity to pinpoint the exact bacteria? This enables the vets to put her on the proper meds and proper dosage.

Are the meds she is on now the same as for the last UTIs?

Are you taking a sample back to be checked 3 days or so after you finish the meds - to be sure the infection is gone?

I test urine PH at home to catch a UTI in very ealy stage (hi PH indicates., normal is 5.5 - 7) and I dbl up on cran caps for a week and recheck. You can also give pribiotics to help ward off UTIs. Yogart is good but not nearly strong enough as straight probiotics.

PM me if you want a place to get PH strips at a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowco Labradors
    Did they send her urine sample out for a culture and sensitivity to pinpoint the exact bacteria? This enables the vets to put her on the proper meds and proper dosage.

Are you taking a sample back to be checked 3 days or so after you finish the meds - to be sure the infection is gone?

I test urine PH at home to catch a UTI in very ealy stage (hi PH indicates., normal is 5.5 - 7) and I dbl up on cran caps for a week and recheck. You can also give pribiotics to help ward off UTIs. Yogart is good but not nearly strong enough as straight probiotics.

Hmm, are pH strips the same all around? Because the holistic vet had me testing her saliva for a while and I have a bunch of those left over.

They did not send it out for a culture- they did it in house.

It is a different drug, because she had a reaction (loose stools) to the one given last time (I believe it was cephalexin). We do bring the urine in after the drug is finished.

Where does one get probiotics? And what type?

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by gabbys mom

TIA
    My supermarket has a natural foods section and I get mine from there. I get the ones that have to refigerated. Any natural food store should carry them. This is the one I give:

http://www.naturesway.com/NaturesWay...productid=6800 They carry several different types. Derby gets them because he tends to be urpy and this helps significantly. Also, I open the capsule and sprinkle it on his food because I was finding the whole capsule in his poop.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by gabbys mom
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowco Labradors

Hmm, are pH strips the same all around? Because the holistic vet had me testing her saliva for a while and I have a bunch of those left over.

They did not send it out for a culture- they did it in house.

It is a different drug, because she had a reaction (loose stools) to the one given last time (I believe it was cephalexin). We do bring the urine in after the drug is finished.

TIA
    I'm not sure if your PH strips for saliva will work. Call the holistic vet you got them from. You need one with a range of 5- 10. I'll just give you the info here McAllister Bicknell 800-468-6226 EMD ColorPHast PH 5-10. cat. # 1.09588. They are about $16 for 100 strips.

IMO your vet is guessing at the proper antib. and dose and this could very well be the reason for the reacurring UTIs. I would have a cystosentesis (urine drawn from bladder by needle - not painful) done and tell them you want it sent to the lab for culture and sensitivity. It takes 3-5 days to grow the culture and then if they find a bacteria you will know exactly what it is and get rid of it with the right meds.

Believe me, I went thru what you are going thru and the cult/sens. did the job.

If you go with the cysto be sure and get the first appointment of the a.m. Dog must have a full bladder.

Probiotics can be found at health food stores. I use a powder form that must be refridgerated. I have heard that enterococcus faceum should be in the prob. as it is in a dogs gut not human so you would need to purchase at pet supply store. However, I use a human form with no faceum and it works for me. I buy mine at www.progressivelabs.com Pro Doffilus item #962

Hope you get this figured out. Please keep us posted.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

You could also go to Mizzou's VetMed Teaching Hospital, the Small Animal Clinic

http://www.vmth.missouri.edu/

You can self-refer your Lab there.

I've not used them BUT I do regularly use K-State's similar facilities. I find the excellence of diagnostic and treatment services to be worth the trip.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748