Luxating Patella
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Luxating Patella

  1. #1
    cabinlady is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    21

    DefaultLuxating Patella

    Hi this is my first time here. I have been using another board, but didn't get many answers on my problem so I decided to try out this board. My 9 month old lab Sophie was diagnosed with luxating patella today and my vet wants to wait a couple of weeks to see if she gets worse or anything changes before they do surgery. Is surgery always necessary and is $1000.00 to $1200.00 a resonable amout to pay for this surgery. Sophie has not shown any signs of pain, but holds up her right rear leg from time to time, then puts it back down and every thing seems fine. Any advice would be appreciated! ???
    Amelia&#39;s pups<br />Ginger born in 1997<br />Sophie born Nov 23, 2006

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    CaliforniaLabLover's Avatar
    CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,443

    DefaultRe: Luxating Patella

    She probably occasionally holds her leg up because the patella has slipped out of the groove it normally rides in, which tightens the ligament off to the side of the knee. In this position, the patella has to physically be pulled back to the proper position to "click" back into the groove for the leg to be flexed properly again...and in order for the patella to "click," often the leg has to be super-extended so that the tension is relieved on that ligament to allow for the movement. That's why these guys often extend their leg behind them, straightening it out. Over time, this can become a very painful process, and they can develop a lot of arthritis. However, as a youngster, the ligaments and everything are much "looser" if that makes any sense.

    I would wait until she is at least about 18 months to see if things tighten up on their own before surgery, and I would have your vet show you how to (if possible) "click" that patella back into position if it gets out of position at home in the meantime. Often, these guys still end up needing surgery to deepen the groove and tighten up the patellar ligament...those prices don't sound outrageous to me. But, then again, I'm in southern California where an *average* "traditional" cruciate ligament repair is between $1500-2500.

    ~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

    "The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

  4. #3
    cabinlady is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    21

    DefaultRe: Luxating Patella

    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaLabLover
    She probably occasionally holds her leg up because the patella has slipped out of the groove it normally rides in, which tightens the ligament off to the side of the knee. In this position, the patella has to physically be pulled back to the proper position to "click" back into the groove for the leg to be flexed properly again...and in order for the patella to "click," often the leg has to be super-extended so that the tension is relieved on that ligament to allow for the movement. That's why these guys often extend their leg behind them, straightening it out. Over time, this can become a very painful process, and they can develop a lot of arthritis. However, as a youngster, the ligaments and everything are much "looser" if that makes any sense.

    I would wait until she is at least about 18 months to see if things tighten up on their own before surgery, and I would have your vet show you how to (if possible) "click" that patella back into position if it gets out of position at home in the meantime. Often, these guys still end up needing surgery to deepen the groove and tighten up the patellar ligament...those prices don't sound outrageous to me. But, then again, I'm in southern California where an *average* "traditional" cruciate ligament repair is between $1500-2500.
    Thanks for the information. I would love to postpone the surgery until she is older as long as she doesn't get any worse. My father has poodle who he pops his leg for him when necessary. But he seems to be outgrowing the problem so I can always hope the same will happen for Sophie!
    We are planning a trip to California in Feb. for our 40th wedding anniversay and want to visit the wine country. I hear it's quite beautiful there!
    Amelia&#39;s pups<br />Ginger born in 1997<br />Sophie born Nov 23, 2006

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    rileygirl23 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    91

    DefaultRe: Luxating Patella

    I don't have any experience with this in dogs, but my horse has had it. Her case was pretty mild and was helped greatly by conditioning and getting the supporting muscles and ligaments tightened up. I would agree with the wait and see approach with a 9 month old dog. A lot can change between now and maturity. Good luck!

  7. #5
    Scout and friends Guest

    DefaultRe: Luxating Patella

    Scout was diagnosed with MPL at 9 mos. She had surgery at 1 year. Her other knee started luxating shortly after that, and she had surgery on that one at 2 years. We did conservative management on both for a short period of time after diagnosis, but both knees only worsened unfortunately.

    My vet referred her to an ortho vet, one who had experience doing this particular surgery on larger breeds. It involved more travel for me but in the end it was definitely the right decision. For Scout, surgery was the only option - she can live a normal lab life now. And a pain free one. That wouldn't have been possible otherwise.

    Good luck.


  8. #6
    cabinlady is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    21

    DefaultRe: Luxating Patella

    Quote Originally Posted by Scout
    Scout was diagnosed with MPL at 9 mos. She had surgery at 1 year. Her other knee started luxating shortly after that, and she had surgery on that one at 2 years. We did conservative management on both for a short period of time after diagnosis, but both knees only worsened unfortunately.

    My vet referred her to an ortho vet, one who had experience doing this particular surgery on larger breeds. It involved more travel for me but in the end it was definitely the right decision. For Scout, surgery was the only option - she can live a normal lab life now. And a pain free one. That wouldn't have been possible otherwise.

    Good luck.

    So far Sophie hasn't showed any signs of pain, but we will do whatever it takes to get her better. Glad Scout is doing well now!!

    Amelia&#39;s pups<br />Ginger born in 1997<br />Sophie born Nov 23, 2006

  9. #7
    Baloo317's Avatar
    Baloo317 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    8,793

    DefaultRe: Luxating Patella

    Quote Originally Posted by cabinlady
    Hi this is my first time here. I have been using another board, but didn't get many answers on my problem so I decided to try out this board. My 9 month old lab Sophie was diagnosed with luxating patella today and my vet wants to wait a couple of weeks to see if she gets worse or anything changes before they do surgery. Is surgery always necessary and is $1000.00 to $1200.00 a resonable amout to pay for this surgery. Sophie has not shown any signs of pain, but holds up her right rear leg from time to time, then puts it back down and every thing seems fine. Any advice would be appreciated! ???
    What grade? I believe luxating patellas are measured in grades, 1-4, is that right?

    Minpins often have issues with this, so I did a lot of research on it when Peanut was a puppy.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!


  10. #8
    Scout and friends Guest

    DefaultRe: Luxating Patella

    Watch Sophie for signs of pain. It was my experience with Scout, and my breeder told me this too - labs don't show pain until it's bad. They'll suck it up until it's quite intense. I found Scout behind a chair one day and she was in horrible pain - the patella was off to the side and she couldn't get to me to help, so she hid.

    And - I got second/third opinions. All recommended surgery. That helped me make the call to book.

    Edited to add - The second and third opinions said "yes, I'd recommend surgery" and that helped me feel sure that surgery was now the way to go for Scout.


  11. #9
    cabinlady is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    21

    DefaultRe: Luxating Patella

    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    Quote Originally Posted by cabinlady
    Hi this is my first time here. I have been using another board, but didn't get many answers on my problem so I decided to try out this board. My 9 month old lab Sophie was diagnosed with luxating patella today and my vet wants to wait a couple of weeks to see if she gets worse or anything changes before they do surgery. Is surgery always necessary and is $1000.00 to $1200.00 a resonable amout to pay for this surgery. Sophie has not shown any signs of pain, but holds up her right rear leg from time to time, then puts it back down and every thing seems fine. Any advice would be appreciated! ???
    What grade? I believe luxating patellas are measured in grades, 1-4, is that right?

    Minpins often have issues with this, so I did a lot of research on it when Peanut was a puppy.

    The vet didn't say which grade but from what I have been reading I would say it is a 2. An article I read today said a 1 is when the vet takes it in and out of place and a 2 is where it goes out on it's own and then back in place.
    Amelia&#39;s pups<br />Ginger born in 1997<br />Sophie born Nov 23, 2006

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25