Annual Vet Visit Thurs - Need Some Input - Update at Top**

Thread: Annual Vet Visit Thurs - Need Some Input - Update at Top**

rileygirl23 is offline Member

DefaultAnnual Vet Visit Thurs - Need Some Input - Update at Top**

There are a couple questions I need to ask the vet (again) that I thought I'd run by you guys.

Neiko has ED and it has been pretty manageable with Adequan, Cosequin, and the occasional Rimadyl. His ortho vet said to give him Rimadyl when he looks sore. My regular vet said to not hesitate to use it before and after activity. My question is, with a 6 yr old how would you balance wanting him to be comfortable and not wanting to cause liver damage a couple years from now? Currently, he gets a little stiff after a longer hike or a little extra excercise (swimming is not that low impact with psycho-swimmer-man...). I guess no matter how much the vets assure me its ok, I'm still hesitant but I don't want to withhold something that will make him feel better.

My other question is this vet has always done annual vaccs. I asked them about going to 3 yrs and they said "we'll talk about it". Should this be a deal breaker if they won't? I've probably been totally over-vaccinating him, but short of not going to the vet, I'm not sure how to circumvent it. I'm also not completely confident in my knowledge of the subject to contradict the vet. What would you guys do? I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but we're fostering for a lab rescue and will be getting unvaccinated / recently vaccinated dogs in the house.

**** We just got back from the vet. I had requested to see the owner of the clinic who is the most senior vet. When I explained my opinions and concerns about the vaccinations, she said that she had no trouble going to a 3 yr sched. and that was what she recommended. I'm a little annoyed that they still would have done annual vacs without any discussion, but at least they are heeding the 3 yr protocal. There's so many different vets at this clinic, I think I'm just going to stick with her from now on. That you all for your input and the article links. It helped having my homework done

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Annual Vet Visit Thurs - Need Some Input

I don't know the answers about the ED meds. But as far as the 3yr. vax schd. goes it would be a deal breaker for me. Luckily our current vet is on board with this, hope it all works out for you.

Thanks! I really value everyone's opinion here and I think I'll need some ammo when I go to the vet. There won't be much love lost on my part if I do switch though, since he's been going there for 5 yrs and they still don't recognize him (and we're there just about every month :P )

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

I always try to remember they these pups are our family, but they cant speak for themselves, so its up to us to do what we think is in their best interest. The Vet or Doctor doesn't always know whats best

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Read this link and print a copy out for your vet.

http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/DODD...-PROTOCOLS.HTM

Your dog has been vaccinated for 6 years and should be covered for the 3 year protocol. Tell your vet you want titer tests done to prove he is not covered (doubtful) before revaccinating.

You have the right to tell the vet no and if they turn you away as a patient than you are better off with a new vet.

Re the ED and pain info. I would try natural supplements like I used for athritic pain. Go to www.dogaware.com and look in the arthritis section for info on Vit. C at hi doses to bowel tolerance, DLPA, Dog Gone Pain and others.

Good luck with your vet appointment. While the titers cost a bit more than the vaccinations - best to know for sure than just putting more into your dogs system.

Also, if the dog is already covered (has the immunity to specific disease) than revacinating does absolutely nothing to further protect the dog and is a waste of money.

Thanks for the link. That will be a great help. A friend of mine was a vet tech at Colorado State VTH and their unwritten policy was to vaccinate every 3 yrs or less in older dogs. For whatever reason, all the local vets I know in town are still trying to stick with the annual vacs. I think I'm just going to have to push the issue.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Vets loose a lot of money if every one of their patients go from 1 year to 3 year protocol.

My vet does 4 series of puppy vaccinations but I only let him do 3 and he does not argue with me.