Dog Nosebleeds
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog Nosebleeds

dragona is offline Member

DefaultDog Nosebleeds

Sorry to be a bore, and even sorrier that I dont really contribute to anyone elses threads, I am not all that knowledgable BUT does anyone have experience of dog nosebleeds that have NOT been horribly serious? Vito continues to improve daily, but the nosebleeds continue also,daily. Very small amounts of blood, but there nonetheless. A tiny bit in the morning, maybe a small one in the afternoon, then a day without, and then a little bit of an evening. I am stumped. He seems to have no other symptoms, his breathing is not laboured, he is not sneezing a lot, I just dont get it.

Most of the the information I get from the net re nosebleeds point to nasal cancer

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dog Nosebleeds

He really needs to be seen by a vet. You don't state where you are from, but he should be checked also for a foxtail in the nostril if you have foxtails where you live. Unfortunately most nosebleeds in dogs are pretty serious.

Laura

dragona is offline Member

I know -he has seen a good few vets so far. Scope, x-rays and biopsy showed nothing, but the nosebleeds continue.Suspected high blood pressure, but only in the morning or through the night? Seems odd to me. He was diagnosed with immune mediated vasculitis (see immunosupression in dogs thread) but it is not certain if the nosebleeds are relevant to that.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jlab Guest

dragona,

Has the vet ruled out immune-mediated thrombocytopenia (IMT)? It may be primary or secondary to other autoimmune diseases such as immune-mediated vasculitis.

IMT is characterized by a reduction in the number of platelets which are important in the clotting process (i.e., low platelets lead to decrease in clotting ablity and one symptom would be nosebleeds). Since the initial treatment for IMT is prednisolone (which he's currently on), has the vet checked to see if his platelet levels are low or falling? They may need to change to another immunosuppressive drug.

Here's a link to an interesting article that may be helpful:

http://www.upei.ca/cidd/Diseases/imm...ocytopenia.htm

cabinlady is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    He really needs to be seen by a vet. You don't state where you are from, but he should be checked also for a foxtail in the nostril if you have foxtails where you live. Unfortunately most nosebleeds in dogs are pretty serious.
    I agree that he needs to see a vet. We had a mixed breed dog who started having nose bleeds when she was around 13 years old and one day she practically bled to death. The vet was pretty sure it was cancer and at that age we didn't want to put her through surgery.
    Amelia&#39;s pups<br />Ginger born in 1997<br />Sophie born Nov 23, 2006

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Is there a veterinary school/university near you? I would seek out the highest level of vet care you have available.

Hope he's OK.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Ditto
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

jlab Guest

dragona has already indicated that he has been seen by more than one vet including vets at a university hospital. Re-read her second post here and go back to the other thread she mentioned for the whole story.

imported_kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

Maybe test for von Willebrand disease

von Willebrand's Disease (vWD)
    vWD is a blood disorder, a deficiency in clotting factor VIII antigen. This substance is called "Von Willebrand's factor." Dogs affected by the disease do not effectively utilize their platelets for blood clotting and therefore are more likely to have excessive bleeding episodes upon injury. This is similar to hemophilia in humans.
    vWD is a common inherited disorder. Certain breeds, have a higher than normal incidence of this disorder.

The main symptom of vWd is excessive bleeding, generally occuring after an injury or surgery. Dog's with Von Willebrand's disease may also develop nosebleeds or bleeding from the gums; bleeding in the stomach or intestine may also occur; and some dogs may have blood in their urine. Symptoms similar to those of arthritis may also occur if bleeding is into the joints.
    ANOTHER LINK
    <br />Oregon

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jlab
    dragona has already indicated that he has been seen by more than one vet including vets at&#160; a university hospital.&#160; Re-read her second post here and go back to the other thread she mentioned for the whole story.
    No, she said she has seen "a few vets so far"

Quote Originally Posted by dragona
    I know -he has seen a good few vets so far.
    She didn't mention anything about university vets, And I don't know about her location, but around here, veterinary universities are a whole other level of vet care.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast