Damn it!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Damn it!

DefaultDamn it!

Hi,

Our new puppy is arriving in less than two weeks. According to our breeder, she feeds him cooked food (veggies, meat, pasta etc), and Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy food.

We have no intention of cooking food for the puppy, and this is where it gets complicated. Depending on who you speak to, what you read on the forums and internet, which pet shop you visit, we have had so many suggestions on 'the best food to feed your puppy'. Even different vest have different opinions!

When the puppy arrives, we will continue to feed him Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy food, but we were told that 'there were other better brands out there'. I know we have to largely stick with what the breeder is currently using, and to change gradually.

Some brands have more of something, and less of something. Some are organic, some are holistic. To be honest, we are getting a little sick of this.

Can everyone just reply to this post to say what dog food you'd feed your dog if you want him to be big, strong, and healthy! Only ONE choice per person please!

Thanks for your reply!

P.S. The exasperation you sense is really there!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Damn it!

I would stick with the Euk LB Puppy. Nothing wrong with it. It is a good food.
    Kim

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Hmm. Never heard of a breeder feeding kibble AND cooked. It is usually one or the other.

I would stick with the Eukanuba for now if that is what the breeder has him on.

Where are you located - USA, UK, other? I noticed that you said 'pet shop', which is why I am not sure. Certain foods are only available in certain countries.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

We are located in Singapore

Trickster is offline Senior Member

We are located in Singapore
    Oh. Cool!

What kind of foods do you have available out there?

Like I said though, for now I would definitely stick with the Eukanuba. No sense in upsetting the pups stomach. The transition from his breeders house to yours will be stressful enough for the little guy.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I feed Eukanuba LBP. HK is doing fine with it, although the feed rate on the bag is absurdly high. I have had to reduce the amount in half to keep her weight (fat) under control.

That said, there ar lots of opinions on food for pups as well as adult dogs. Raw feeders, and everything else. When the current bag nears the bottom, I intend to switch HK over to Innova LBP for 2 reasons. (1) Lower Calcium content and better for there bones until mature, (2) Get rid of the Corn and Wheat. I have read enough to believe that many dogs are better off without the corn and wheat, and that there is a lesser tendency for them to release aromatic methane gas.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

I would have to differ on the aromatic methane gas. I don't use corn or wheat, and I still get the "free" aromatherapy treatments. LOL.

I feed a combination of RAW and Natural Balance.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CenTexLabs
    I would have to differ on the aromatic methane gas. I don't use corn or wheat, and I still get the "free" aromatherapy treatments. LOL.

I feed a combination of RAW and Natural Balance.
    Aaaargh! You just broke my bubble!!!! I am still going to make the switch, I thought the gas reduction might be a side benefit. Bwaaaa!
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

haha. Are you guys trying to make us more confused?

We have all sorts of food here - Timberwolves, Royal Canin, Pro Plan, Solid Gold etc etc.

Your best bet, if you are going to stick with a dry food, is to look for a food that does not contain Wheat, Corn, Soy, or any fillers of that matter. Dogs were not made to eat grain. Another selling point for non-grain foods... they will poop much less.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast