Worming Question

Thread: Worming Question

Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

DefaultWorming Question

Dee has been doing some "scooting" lately, so I took her into the Vet last week and he checked her anal glands. He said they were pretty full and it was rather sludgy/abnormal. Since then she's still scooting occasionally. There shouldn't be any irritation there because I used some cream he prescribed for a few days to alleviate that.

Anyway, this morning it occured to me that I haven't wormed her for a bit. Her bowels are fine....no sign of anything and doubt that this is the problem, but I'm going to do her anyway. Thing is she is already booked to have her vaccinations this week and I'm not sure about worming and vaccinating so close together. I'd appreciate your comments on this. Is it something you would worry about....I mean the vaccinating and worming so close together? TIA.

Edited to add that "I use Interceptor Flavor Tabs."
    Last edited by Top Of The Hill; 07-01-2009 at 01:52 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Unless you are specifically worried about tape worm, Interceptor is a wormer already:

Worms can cause your pet pain and discomfort, and sometimes, even death. Luckily, it's simple to protect your pet from internal parasites with INTERCEPTOR® (milbemycin oxime) Flavor Tabs®.

INTERCEPTOR Flavor Tabs for dogs prevent deadly heartworm disease, while protecting your dog against roundworms (Toxocara canis, Toxascaris leonina), hookworms (Ancylostoma caninum) and whipworms (Trichuris vulpis).
    And if you give this medicine monthly, you should have NO PROBLEMS with regular worms.

Thanks for replying Jen. Yes, I know Interceptor is a wormer. I just thought I would mention the type I use. I worm every three months per my Vet's instructions, but honestly wonder if even that often is necessary. Heartworm isn't a problem here, and with my previous dogs I have usually done stool checks for worms.....always negative. Anyway, Dee does tend to pick sticks and stuff up more, so I guess she may be more likely to get worms than they were. I hadn't thought of tape worm (her appetite hasn't changed and no sign of it), but maybe I should take a sample in just in case. My actual concern was whether there was any harm in worming her on the same day she has vaccinations. Probably not, but I was just concerned that it might be too much at once to do both.???

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

Take a stool sample in with you when you got to the vet. No there is no problem doing worming and vaccines at the same time.
    Alicia

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Is she about to come into season? My girls skootch when its time to come in season. Were her anal glands infected? Has she been licking her butt a lot?

If no to all that, I'd up the fibre in her diet.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Quote Originally Posted by millstonekennel View Post
    Take a stool sample in with you when you got to the vet. No there is no problem doing worming and vaccines at the same time.
    Thanks. I didn't think there was, but I don't like to do everything at once if I don't have to. I'll get a stool sample checked first....though I know I've been told they aren't 100 percent.

Melissa, no she's spayed so that's not it. :-) He didn't say her anal glands were infected (so I hope not), but I'm going back in tomorrow and I'll ask if he thinks they're still bugging her. I don't know why the contents was so sludgy...except that I guess if they aren't emptying properly the stuff is sitting in there longer than normal. They used to express once in awhile on their own. Not pleasant, but better than getting impacted. I don't know why that changed, but now they seem to need expressing occasionally. I'll also take a stool sample. What would you suggest to add fibre to her diet? Thanks for replying.
    Last edited by Top Of The Hill; 07-01-2009 at 11:54 PM.