Pancreatitis

Thread: Pancreatitis

labradork mom is offline Member

DefaultPancreatitis

Hi,

My yellow guy Dylan was diagnosed with pancreatitis this week. He had to spend a day at the vet on IV therapy. Now that he is home he is on mega doses of antibiotic and Science Diet I/D prescription food. My question is has anyone else dealt with this and if so do you know what caused it. My dog is not a chewer or a garbage eater. He does not get table scraps and is never left alone unsupervised outside. I cannot figure out what could have caused this. My vet says they can not be sure either. Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Pancreatitis

Sorry to hear this. I don't know the cause, have never dealt with it.

I have heard that low protein is important. There are better dog foods on the market with low protein than the SD i/d.

What is the protein percentage in the food you are feeding now?

I know someone very knowledgeable who has been thru this and many other things with her Labs.

PM me if you want her contact info.

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

I have dealt with something like this. Nadja found a deer carcass my husband THOUGHT he took far enough away. She found it one morning and had eaten on it for about 1/2 hour (we have a large acreage but she always stays up by the house). The meat was a little rank. She got very sick. Don't think I didn't let Steve have it right between the eyes! >
    The vet said to keep her away from anything fatty. Even her treats (Science Diet) were fat free. Be very consistant about what your dog is given. I had to really watch it when we had company over. Her stomach remained quite delicate for months.
    It took Nadja 1-1/2 years to fully come out of it. Now 2-1/2 years later she can have regular treats but I am still a little guarded about the quantity of treats.
    Please don't let this worry you. It was just another day in the life of living with the most wonderful companion I have ever had/ ;D
    Steve no longer leaves carcasses laying around, especially after seeing all the vet bills. ;D Sorry this was so long.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jane
    I have dealt with something like this. Nadja found a deer carcass my husband THOUGHT he took far enough away. She found it one morning and had eaten on it for about 1/2 hour (we have a large acreage but she always stays up by the house). The meat was a little rank. She got very sick. Don't think I didn't let Steve have it right between the eyes! >
    The vet said to keep her away from anything fatty. Even her treats (Science Diet) were fat free. Be very consistant about what your dog is given. I had to really watch it when we had company over. Her stomach remained quite delicate for months.
    It took Nadja 1-1/2 years to fully come out of it. Now 2-1/2 years later she can have regular treats but I am still a little guarded about the quantity of treats.
    Please don't let this worry you. It was just another day in the life of living with the most wonderful companion I have ever had/ ;D
    Steve no longer leaves carcasses laying around, especially after seeing all the vet bills. ;D Sorry this was so long.
    Was your dog diagnosed with pancreatitis? My brother and friends are deer hunters and he drives me nuts leaving barrels of carcass where the dogs can get at it. My mom's dog got sick once - vomitting.

Had no idea this could cause pancreatitis.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Years ago my husband's English Setter was diagnosed with pancreatitis. The vet felt it could have been some dead anuimal she ate in the woods, since she never left our yard except for hunting & training. She spent 5 days at the vet & basically he sent her home because there was nothing more he could do. She just layed around the house for a few more days, ate nothing & then one day the kids dropped a piece of chicken on the floor & she ate it. She started eating small amounts of food after that & lived to be 16 1/2 years old. She was so bad it affected her liver too & the whites of her eyes were yellow.
    We neevr knew what really caused it.

Hope Dylan feels better.

canUdigIt is offline Senior Member

My Rhys had chronic pancreatitis when he was almost two. He is a city dog and every ounce of food he has is moderated, so we knew it wasn't from added protien.

He was on IV antibiotics for nearly three weeks before the vets suggested removing the tail of the pancreas, which is a very large surgery for a dog, almost 8.5 hours.

Anyhow, three weeks post op he was home, and did really well. Enzymes are monitored every three month. Don't know how much longer, he was diagnosed two weeks ago with bone cancer, nearly 5 years post op.

There was never any cancer in the pancreas, just dead and diseased tissue.

Who needs a pancreas? LOL

labradork mom is offline Member

Thanks for the responses. Dylan is home and on 3000 milligrams of antibiotics for 10 days. So far he has responded well. He has a good appetite and is back to constantly asking to play red ball.(his favorite toy). I quess I may never know what caused it. The weird thing is that my black female lab Gracie also had pancreatitis July 2006. Hers was very severe. I love my dogs so much and monitor everything they do and eat. What are the odds I would have two dogs that develop this within a year of each other. Maybe it is something in my water. I will keep you posted and thanks again for the responses.