smelly dog
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: smelly dog

softail is offline Member

Defaultsmelly dog

dog days here in OH. and my pup who swims at least 2x a day has been getting a very smelly neck and chin, like she rolled in parmesan cheese. I try to get her as dry as humanly poss. and have bathed at least 1x per wk. and even used deoderant wipes. Have checked skin and find no redness or irritation. anyone have any idea of what causes this?
    ~ Life's a beach for a swamp pig

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: smelly dog

Not sure what causes it but I have a few suggestions to throw out there:

Bathing (with shampoo..?) once per week is far too often for labs and can actually damage their coat/skin...

Also, it sounds like she's not drying out completely, which can cause a host of problems in itself. I would stop her swimming for a day or so and see if that helps.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I try to get her as dry as humanly poss. and have bathed at least 1x per wk.
    What kind of shampoo are you using?

And I agree with Baloo that that's way too often to bathe a Lab.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Are you sure that she is not finding something to roll in?

softail is offline Member

Trickster ~ I know that smell and it's nothing poopy or dead. As far as shampoo I use Dr. Foster and Smith Soothing Antibacterial mixed with NovaSan Hyda Pearls. I also agree that once a wk. bath is too much. Maybe she has a yeast colony growing ? Also, we live in country w/pond right out the front door and it's hard to keep her out when the temp's been 90+. I'm hoping it goes away when it cools down outside.
    ~ Life's a beach for a swamp pig

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

You need to make sure she is completely drying out. They can get loads of problems (mostly skin related) when they stay wet for extended periods of time.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

harley-tam is offline Junior Member

hi there,

Its funny about this, I just went on to the site to write about the same problem. I was bathing my dog to much as well and i dried out his skin. NOw the problem is how do I get rid of the dandruff and smell without washing him again. I have phone a few vets and have gotten a medicated shampoo as well but it is back to the same problem after a few days. I am going to try a different food with more vitamins now. Before I take him in for an exam. One thing I did try with the advise from a vet was to stop bathing Harley (my dog) . Another piece of advice i gotten from someone not a vet was try sardines with amega once a week to put oils back into his skin. I also brush him lots. This helped somewhat but now I am gonna try changing his food. Let me know how it goes or if you find anything that works.
    Sincerely,
    harley-tam

Charlie4r2 is offline Junior Member

Smell the dogs ears. It is common to have dogs that swim a lot get bacteria infection in the ear canal. here is some really good stuff to use for this problem and is really cheap to make. It is also very good for sores on the enter ear.

http://www.ridgewoodpoodles.com/blue..._treatment.htm

theboysmom is offline Member

When we got Goliath (years ago) he had quite the fungus infection and since has always been pron to flakey skin. The vet gave me medicated shampoo along with other things to try to resolve it. The shampoo from the vet really didn't help as the flakes came back quickly, so I decided to try Selsun Blue shampoo on him (our collie got mange from a neighborhood dog and that was what the vet told us to use to get rid of it) it has cleared up his flakes and fungus.

ks02 is offline Senior Member

You describing the smell as similar to parmesan cheese hints fungal to me. I would try the advice others have given as well, but I agree to not overbathe. I've had Riley for 8 months and have only bathed him once. After swimming, I hose him off really well and make sure his coat and ears get a chance to really dry. So far I haven't had any problems with odor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast