Diabetic dog

Thread: Diabetic dog

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

DefaultDiabetic dog

Hello,

I've only been a member for a short time but that's not to say i haven't had a lot of experience with Labradors, from the moment i was born there was a lab in the house and now I'm nearly 40!
    However in all that time we have never had a lab who's contracted diabetes, my dog Jonah was only diagnosed a little over a week ago and it has been, and still is, a huge learning curve for me.
    I thought i was doing OK, rearranging his meal times and giving him his twice daily shots,and Jonah seemed to be picking up, however today we have been for a walk in the woodland near our home and it looked to me as though his back legs kept going wobbly it's worried me a little as I'm not sure if it's all to do with his energy levels being down due to the diabetes, his age(10) or just that we were on quite a steep hill and he couldn't cope. I'm going to keep an eye on him for a day or two and then take him to the vet - does anyone have any ideas if it could be to do with the diabetes?

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Diabetic dog

Are you checking his blood sugar regularly? Sometimes the sugar is difficult to regulate. The wobbly legs could be due to hypoglycemia or any number of other things. I would check in with my vet if I were you. Tell him what's happening. He'll probably want to see him.

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

thanks for that, i need to go to the vets tomorrow to pick up more insulin so i'll have a chat with him then.

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

Hang in there! Diabetes is very hard to regulate, and I found I needed to test at least twice a day at as close to the same time as I could. I also found that I needed to have a very strict diet that involved no carbs at all. I know some animals can handle some carbs, but not mine.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

He was only recently diagnosed and his insulin may need adjusting. I would get him to the vet for that right away.

I have never dealt with diabetes either but I do not what you are going thru when one of your dogs is diagnosed with a disease you know nothing about. Went thru that with kidney failure. Its scary to say the least but I found that doing research and educating myself helped tremendously to aleviate my fears.

Good luck with your senior and I hope its just a matter of insulin adjustment.

labradork mom is offline Member

Hi,

I too have a beautiful female black lab diagnosed with diabetes July 2006. Please feel free to contact me at my e-mail address. I was confused and shocked when we recieved the diagonosis. Treating a diabetic dog is a huge commitment. To answer your first question. The walking in the woods is probably causing the blood sugar to lower. Excercise will do that. If you will be continuing walks you will need to carrry some Karo syrup or something that could be administered in the event the blood sugar drops to low.The wobbly back legs is definately a diabetic issue. It can happen when they go to high or too low. You are doing everything else right. The key to regulating them is to be as consistent as possible with the food and insulin. It should be feeding twice per day with the insulin shot to follow. The feedings should be 12 hours apart. It takes some time to begin to get them regulated. So don't get frustrated. My girl Gracie took at least 9 months. She was diagnosed Hypothyroid at the same time as diabetic. A great website for diabetic dog information ishttp://p092.ezboard.com/Canine-Diabetes/fpetswithdiabetescaninediabetes I hope you find it helpful. Good luck with your dog I am sure you will do great.