Gum pigment?

Thread: Gum pigment?

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultGum pigment?

What is normal for a black dog?

Baloo's were pink when he was really little, then they sort of faded to grey (very concerning for me.... had moments where hypoglycemia nightmares happened....... but he eats like a horse, realistically)

Now they look like they are turning black... (kinda spotchy..?)

Normal or no?
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jlab Guest

DefaultRe: Gum pigment?

Baloo, I don't have any black labs right now but from what I remember I believe it's normal. If you want to really see something interesting, look at the roof of the mouth. There's all kinds of splotchy color stuff going on in there and seems to change with age. I pretty sure it's all genetic.

I agree with jlab BUT if gums and ears both turn a pale gray something's going on and needs to be seen by a vet. My choc. pup's gums were pink but now at a year+ they're turning a mottled pinky chocolate. I think black dogs can be pink and pinky black.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by softail
    I agree with jlab BUT if gums and ears both turn a pale gray something's going on and needs to be seen by a vet.
    I asked my vet about it when his gums were grey-ish (I've seen hypoglycemia at it's worst - not pretty) and she wasn't concerned. I just thought most dog's gums were pink, so that's why I'm a little worried.

Oh, and jlab, I checked the top of his mouth - just black. Apparently, my boy's pretty boring.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

jlab Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    Quote Originally Posted by softail
    I agree with jlab BUT if gums and ears both turn a pale gray something's going on and needs to be seen by a vet.
    I asked my vet about it when his gums were grey-ish (I've seen hypoglycemia at it's worst - not pretty) and she wasn't concerned. I just thought most dog's gums were pink, so that's why I'm a little worried.

Oh, and jlab, I checked the top of his mouth - just black. Apparently, my boy's pretty boring.
    Must be just the roof of the mouths of yellows that you see this.