What is a healthy growth rate?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a healthy growth rate?

DefaultWhat is a healthy growth rate?

What is healthy % weight gain for a puppy per week. A friend of mine had their dog diagnosed with pano, I'd like to do my best to avoid that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What is a healthy growth rate?

Pano has nothing to do with weight. Average weight gain is about 2# a week up until they're about 10 months of age.

Laura

I thought panoesteitis was Long Bone Disease? Its an inflammation of the membrane surrounding the long bones in adolescent pups. It occurs in fast growing puppies and is sometimes termed "growing pains". Lately there have been some claims that nutrition may have an impact on the incidence of the disease. I would think a weight is a measure of growth in puppies? Is it merely to do with concentrations of protein and fat as opposed to quantity of food given and growth rate?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Weight and growth are two different things. A fat puppy doesn't necessarily mean its growing fast. Well maybe sideways.

Laura

Labby and others with a lot of experience...at what age do you find most labs have reached their adult height and weight? Am I correct in assuming my 1 year old is as tall as he will get but that he will still put on some weight?

Depends on the lines your dog came from. Mine are late bloomers so they're not at full height until about 2. They don't body up until 3-4.

Laura

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

everydog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    Pano has nothing to do with weight. Average weight gain is about 2# a week up until they're about 10 months of age.
    Huh ??? Most months have more than 4 weeks, but even assuming 4 weeks per month, that's 40 weeks X 2 = 80 pounds at 10 months? That seems a bit high! Normal for some dogs, I'm sure, but overweight for many.

Quote Originally Posted by everydog
    Quote Originally Posted by labby
    Huh ??? Most months have more than 4 weeks, but even assuming 4 weeks per month, that's 40 weeks X 2 = 80 pounds at 10 months? That seems a bit high! Normal for some dogs, I'm sure, but overweight for many.
    The study that Endofile so kindly posted.
    http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/...4/8/2027S/TBL1
    It found that Labrador retrievers had an average expected maximum weight of ~65 lbs. Which is in accordance with our breed standard. However we all know that this breed has a large deviation from the average.
    The study found that dogs achieved half of their maximum weight by 18.6 +- .18 weeks. So for a 65 lb dog, at 18.6 weeks the dog would weigh 32 lbs. It also found that it achieved its maximum weight by 52.1 weeks. Growth was exponential until about this same time.

everydog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker

The study that Endofile so kindly posted.
    http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/...4/8/2027S/TBL1
    It found that Labrador retrievers had an average expected maximum weight of ~65 lbs. Which is in accordance with our breed standard. However we all know that this breed has a large deviation from the average.
    The study found that dogs achieved half of their maximum weight by 18.6 +- .18 weeks. So for a 65 lb dog, at 18.6 weeks the dog would weigh 32 lbs. It also found that it achieved its maximum weight by 52.1 weeks. Growth was exponential until about this same time.
    That article references another good prospective growth study - this one followed a population of Labrador Guide Dogs:

SK Helmink, RD Shanks and EA Leighton. "Breed and sex differences in growth curves for two breeds of dog guides." J. Anim. Sci 78:27-32, 2000

http://jas.fass.org/cgi/content/abstract/78/1/27

The dogs in the study were of more uniform size than Labradors in the "real world", but it's an interesting read.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast