seizures

Thread: seizures

nrthrnhunny00 is offline Junior Member

Defaultseizures

Hello all, today is my first day as a member of this site. I have a 7 yr old black lab by the name of Taz. Name is self explanitory lol. Hes a wonderful dog and is considered a family member. 2 months ago he had his first seizure that we know of. Hes had 3 grand mal in these past couple months, one of them just happened yesterday. I am having a hard time finding info on seizures and labs. Our vet has seen him for the last two..they ruled out liver failure and anything that would suggest him eating poison and now they are testing for a toxic parasite. The vet said that labs usually develope this as young dogs or pups and out grow it. Its kind of rare that he would just start developing them now at his age. There are always many possiblities, but my husband had talked to a few of his buddies that own labs..and they have said that their older labs have had them too. Does anyone have a good site or some links or any info that could help me in my research? Id appreciate it much. Im sure hell be fine..but Taz is like one of my kids..only he smells alot worse than they do ha ha. Im very scared for him and just want to make him has happy as I can no matter what it may be.

Thanks all and hope to find some answers
    JenMarie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mattgusmum is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: seizures

I'm sorry I don't know how to post links : But if you do a "search" on this site you will get a LOT of information and links. Quite a number of dogs on here have seizures and it has been discussed many times so don't feel that you are alone. My Gus has epilepsy that didn't start until he was 4 years old and it is well controlled by medication (he's 7 1/2 yo now). It is not uncommon for epilepsy to develop in adult dogs.

(((((HUGS))))) for you and Taz. I know it is a very frightening experience when your lab has his first few seizures!

Won't someone please feed me!

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

Did he just happen to have any shots recently and if so which ones?
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Many things can cause seizure disorders. I'd be looking for an underlying health cause at this point (late onset). Head trauma, tumor, chemical exposure to name a few. If you know the breeder, perhaps they can tell you if the pup was slow to revive (O2 deprived) at birth. And ask if there is any history of seizures in their lines. Hopefully someday soon we'll have a gene test for epilepsy and will be able to sort some of this out. I believe Missouri has a very good canine epilepsy research dept... do a google. -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Gluten intolerance can be one cause of seizures. Check this out

http://dogtorj.tripod.com/id32.html

deezeldog Guest

Have the vet test him for Lyme as well if that occurs in your area. It can be a symptom - one that my vet did not test for with my dog. Once she was diagnosed and treated for the lyme --- no more seizures.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I have never heard seizures could be a sign of Lyme. Learned something new today!

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snowco Labradors
    I have never heard seizures could be a sign of Lyme. Learned something new today!
    Yes, it is true. Do a google search for lyme and seizure and you will get all sorts of articles / info.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

Heart Worm meds can also cause seizures.

Look for some posts by "PaddysMom" she has a dog with epilepsy, and I beleive his seizures are controlled by meds