Another food question (super long)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another food question (super long)

DefaultAnother food question (super long)

This one is complicated because of some of the personalities involved (human) and the dog in question. Our 7 year old lab Maverick lives part time with me and part time with my parents. He is, however, in all reality my brother's dog. : My mom does exactly what the vet tells her to do. No questioning.

Maverick has always had a really, really sensitive stomach AND allergies AND anal gland problems. The anal gland problems were solved when he had them removed. His sensitive stomach can't seem to handle any high fat, etc- so I think we need to stay away from Innova, etc. But he has terrible skin allergies, a terrible coat, etc- so I would like to get him onto a higher quality, preferrably grain free food.

The vet currently has him on Eukanuba Low-Residue, which is IMHO is terrible and a waste of 95 dollars a bag.

These are the ingredients: Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Grits, Chicken, Brewers Rice, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E, and Citric Acid), Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Natural Chicken Flavor, Dried Egg Product, Fish Oil (preserved with Ethoxyquin), Dicalcium Phosphate, Brewers Dried Yeast, Fructooligosaccharides, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Flax Meal, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, DL-Methionine, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Rosemary Extract, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Folic Acid, Cobalt Carbonate

Can any of you suggest a lower fat, grain free food that might work for him? If he gets sick/an upset stomach during the switch, my mom will just switch him back to the Eukanuba.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Another food question (super long)

I think your problem is that grain free and high levels of fat and protein typically go together. The lowest level of fat in a grain free food that I have seen is 16% (Orijen). EVO is 22% fat. The average maintenance food (not grain free) has a fat level of around 10-14%.

Based on your requirements I would look into Canidae (all life stages), Fromm's (similar to Canidae) or Timberwolf Organics. Timberwolf's Black Forest formula has excellent ingredients and is 22% protein and 12% fat.

That's what I was finding when I was looking into it- I was just hoping that I was searching in the wrong places.

Well, the Timberwolf or the Canidae has to better than what he is eating now.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

gabbys mom,

Any chance you are in MN? I have a half bag of EUK Low Residue left over from when HK had diarreha. HK hated it and only ate it out of starvation prevention. She is back on Euk LBP. The bag is less than a month old. $45 for a 17 lb bag from the vet. I don't want anything for it, but it will find its way to the trash pretty soon.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    gabbys mom,

Any chance you are in MN? I have a half bag of EUK Low Residue left over from when HK had diarreha. HK hated it and only ate it out of starvation prevention. She is back on Euk LBP. The bag is less than a month old. $45 for a 17 lb bag from the vet. I don't want anything for it, but it will find its way to the trash pretty soon.
    thank you for the sweet offer- but i'm in saint louis right now and won't be back up in minnesota until christmas time

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I'd look at Orijen as well. Is it sold anywhere around you?

http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/about/
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317

crap, no. the closest is about four hours.

I think EVO has a low fat version.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by gabbys mom
    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317

crap, no. the closest is about four hours.
    Too bad.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Quote Originally Posted by kpowell
    I think EVO has a low fat version.
    but it's not grain free.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast