Puppy Food Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy Food Help

sunnylaz is offline Senior Member

DefaultPuppy Food Help

I want to find a grain free puppy food. I have read many, many threads, and am confused as to the percentages of protein, fat, and calcium I should look for. I am currently looking at:
    Orijin Puppy Large: 42% Protein (this seems high, but Orijin keeps coming up), 16% Fat, 1.4% Calcium

Timberwolf Organics Ocean Blue 26% Protein, 16% fat, 1.75% Calcium

BLUE Large Breed Puppies (has no corn, wheat or soy, but it does have rice and barley) 28% Protein, 12% Fat, 1.2% Calcium.

I am also open to other suggestions. I know to look for the lower calcium, so that throws out Evo Innova. We will be bringing our pup home at the end of August, he will be 10 weeks old. I will slowly switch from what the breeder is feeding to a grain free. After he's been home a week or two.

Thanks for any help!
    <br />Jonah - born 6/20/07

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Puppy Food Help

I really like Orijen, for what it's worth. I may switch to it in the future.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

everydog is offline Senior Member

Although all those foods have their strengths and weaknesses on paper, you won't really know how your individual puppy will do until you start feeding it. Have you spoken with the breeder of your puppy about your plans to change food? Most reputable breeders have worked hard to find a food their dogs do well on, and they usually feel pretty strongly that their puppies should continue on that food. It's often mentioned in the contract.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by everydog
    Although all those foods have their strengths and weaknesses on paper, you won't really know how your individual puppy will do until you start feeding it. Have you spoken with the breeder of your puppy about your plans to change food? Most reputable breeders have worked hard to find a food their dogs do well on, and they usually feel pretty strongly that their puppies should continue on that food. It's often mentioned in the contract.
    That's why I *may* switch in the future. We have to feed the food he's on now as per our breeders health contract, and he's doing really well on it.

When he's an adult I'd like to try Orijen, just to see. I REALLY like the fact that they're canadian.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

everydog, thank you for the mention of checking with the breeder. That had not occurred to me, so I sent her an e-mail to find out. I do realize that not all foods will work for all dogs, and what may look good on paper may not work for my dog, but why not start with what looks best on paper and see if that works best for my dog? We lost our first lab 6 years ago to cancer at a young age of 5, and although I know that can happen to any dog and it may not have been anything we did, I want to give this dog the best chance possible by researching the best foods, just as I researched breeders to make sure I was starting with a healthy line.

I would still like to hear if anyone knows about the percentage of fat and protein that I should look for in the food.

Thanks!

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I do want my pups on the food I feed when they go to their forever home and it is in writing. However, I do explain that not all dogs will thrive on the same food and if any buyer finds a problem in the future to contact me for help in finding another food of top quality for their pup.

The foods mentioned in your OP are all good foods. The Orijen does have calcium levels from 1.4 to 1.8 which is safe for a growing pup.

I know a breeder in Canada feeding this food to her weaned pups and older dogs and all are doing very well and developing properly.

If your contract with breeder states to feed what they want you to but okay to switch in the future to grain free (say around 1 year old) than the Natures Variety Instinct is another good grain free choice with calcium of 2.49. I wouldn't feed this under 12 months of age because of the calcium. But statistics, studies, theories are always changing so it may turn out to be okay in the future.

The other thing to be sure of (according to a vet I contacted in this field) is the calcium to phosphorous ratio and that it is correct. According to this vet the Evo, Orijen and Nat. Variety are all correct.

I talked to the breeder, and they are fine with me switching as long as it is to a high quality food. So that isn't going to be a problem.

So how about the protein and fat percentages? Does anyone know about that? I'm just wondering if that matters, since Orijen has so much higher protein percentage than the other two? Does that matter?

imported_Nick is offline Senior Member

It used to - or at least people thought that protein matters. As it turns out, high protein diets don't increase the chances of growth-related problems. The things to keep an eye out for is total amount of calories (you don't want a fat pup), hard exercise (i.e. leashed running), genes (can't do anything at this point), and calcium.

The biggest concern with these foods with higher amounts of fat and protein is that it's really easy to overfeed. The protein and fat levels aren't harmful in themselves, but feeding excess amounts of the food will lead to weight gain - and that can cause problems. Just keep an eye on their weight and adjust accordingly.

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

Rowan was on Large Breed Puppy - Ultra by Nutro since bringing her home at 7 weeks.

WE have JUST switched to Orijen Adult - 6 Fish formula!!!! I hope she does well on it. I love that it is made in Alberta - the province right next door!! ;D
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Compare the calories in the old food and the Orijen to be sure you are not over feeding.

You will feed quite a bit less of the Orijen to equal the same calories as the old food.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast