OK, foodies. Let's revisit puppy food....with a *slight* twist.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK, foodies. Let's revisit puppy food....with a *slight* twist.

Anne is offline Senior Member

DefaultOK, foodies. Let's revisit puppy food....with a *slight* twist.

If you could choose these two brands - which one would you go with?

California Natural Chicken & Rice Puppy Dry Formula

Chicken & Rice Ingredients:
    Chicken Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Ground White Rice, Chicken Fat, Flaxseed, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, Vitamins/Minerals.

Chicken & Rice Nutrition Facts:
    Moisture........10.0 %
    Protein...........26.0 %
    Fat.................16.0 %
    Fiber................2.5 %
    Calories........1722 Kcal/lb
    Calories........3788 Kcal/Kg
    Calories..........466 KCals/Cup
    Or,

Wysong Growth

Dry Diet Ingredients:
    Chicken, Ground Corn, Ground Wheat, Ground Brown Rice, Ground Extruded Whole Soybeans, Poultry Fat, Corn Gluten Meal, Ground Oat Groats, Dried Whey, Salt, Yeast Culture, Lecithin, Natural Extractives of Cloves, Sage, and Rosemary, Dried Kelp, Garlic, Black Pepper, Artichoke, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Product, Dried Entercococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus lactis Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus niger Fermentation Product, Ascorbic Acid, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement.

Dry Diet Analysis:
    Protein 26%, Fat 14%, Fiber 4%, Moisture 12%

Why these two? Because I currently feed Wysong and have fed Cal. Natural in the past. Both of these options are in my price range and are readily available to me for purchase. The puppy will be coming home on a food whose closest dealer is nearly 2 hours away, so I will be buying just enough kibble to get her through the first few weeks + transition time.

But after typing the above, I wonder if she *needs* to be started on a LB formula?

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: OK, foodies. Let's revisit puppy food....with a *slight* twist.

I am no expert by any stretch, but I don't like corn as the second ingredient in the Wysong. I try to avoid corn and if there is corn, I want it way deep in the list. I've had a lab in th epast who did poorly with corn higher up in the ingredients list

The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

If it were me I would go with the California Natural. I don't like the Wysong ingredients - corn, wheat, and soy. California Natural is made by Natura, and they are a great food manufacturer with a really good track record.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labs4life
    I am no expert by any stretch, but I don't like corn as the second ingredient in the Wysong. I try to avoid corn and if there is corn, I want it way deep in the list. I've had a lab in th epast who did poorly with corn higher up in the ingredients list

I agree. The less corn the better.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Too little fiber in Cal Nat, too little fat in Wysong for my liking.I see no calc/phos data in your info so based on just what I see here...I pick neither.
    Kim

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Sorry I know this isn't helpful, but I have to go with neither also- Don't like chicken meal, as protein source and dont like corn as sec. ingredient! JMO-

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Chicken Meal - The AAFCO standard reads
    The dry rendered product from a combination of clean flesh and skin with or without accompanying bone, derived from the parts of whole carcasses of chicken (or any meat) or a combination thereof, exclusive of feathers, heads, feet, and entrails

So it is not a lesser quality ingredient.

I never looked at the ingredients listed here. First I look at the guaranteed analysis, and I what I see there makes me say no, I don't bother looking further.
    Kim

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I vote for neither unfortunately as well.

Dipete, as Cinderbay said, you WANT chicken meal. A whole meat "meal" is BETTER than just the meat itself. Meaning...if you see two labels and one reads:

Chicken, brown rice, ground rice, whole rice, oats....blah blah blah

and the other says:

Chicken Meal, rice, oats, blah blah blah

Plain chicken in the first list is counted as the most prevalent ingredient by weight (including ALL THE WATER that is in fresh chicken). Cook the kibble batter up, which removes the water, and suddenly you have a food that is VERY HIGH in rice/grains and lower in chicken. With Chicken MEAL, the water is removed already, so it IS the most prevalent ingredient in the bag of food. So you WANT the first ingredient to be a good meat meal...chicken meal, lamb meal, beef meal, fish meal...

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    I vote for neither unfortunately as well.

Dipete, as Cinderbay said, you WANT chicken meal. A whole meat "meal" is BETTER than just the meat itself. Meaning...if you see two labels and one reads:

Chicken, brown rice, ground rice, whole rice, oats....blah blah blah

and the other says:

Chicken Meal, rice, oats, blah blah blah

Plain chicken in the first list is counted as the most prevalent ingredient by weight (including ALL THE WATER that is in fresh chicken). Cook the kibble batter up, which removes the water, and suddenly you have a food that is VERY HIGH in rice/grains and lower in chicken. With Chicken MEAL, the water is removed already, so it IS the most prevalent ingredient in the bag of food. So you WANT the first ingredient to be a good meat meal...chicken meal, lamb meal, beef meal, fish meal...
    WoW after everything I have read I thought I knew, but guess not- now I have to sec. guess what I have Sammi on which she does great with-Oh well you learn something new everyday- Thanks!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I intend to switch Hershey's food when the current bag is done. As such I am trying to pay attention to posts on this subject and do some research on my own. Or maybe read others research as the case really is. I think I have decided that I will avoid corn and wheat. One, I doubt that she needs that as filler, two it might be the sorceof the methane she releases. I will ask our vet before I make the switch, but I think I am pretty set in that much of a decision and have a few weeks left. I know that I will be buying smaller bags initially to make sure whatever I pick is compatible with Hershey.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast