Lilo was Shaved for Spay
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lilo was Shaved for Spay

LiloLab is offline Junior Member

DefaultLilo was Shaved for Spay

We just picked up Lilo from the Vet after being spayed and noticed that her bottom side had been shaved off! also, her front right leg had been shaved where the IV went. Will this hair grow back? it's really noticable!

Poor thing has that stupid huge e-collar on and she's been using it as a shovel whenever she tries to put her nose to the ground.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Lilo was Shaved for Spay

Yep it all grows back, nothing to worry about! Luckily Sammi didn't need the e-collor, she left the incision site completely alone! Good luck I'm sure she will do fine!

Kathy5475 is offline Senior Member

Riley is just over a month past her spay, and you can just barely make out where she was shaved on her belly, and can't tell at all on her leg. No collar for her either, as she had no interest at all in the incision site. So I have a $20 plastic collar if anyone is interested. Someone else in JL suggested I try ebay ;D .

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

HK had was spayed on 7/2. You can't tell where she was shaved any more. The hair has all grown back.

She hated the e-collar, head to the ground like you said, or catching a side when going through an opening. She was so afraid of whatever was happening when she went through a doorway, including into her pen, that she would try to run through them, only making the potential to catch the side worse.

We took the collar off anytime we were prepared to constantly watch her. It wasn't that bad. She did try to lick her incision a couple times and we were right on top of it. When she went into the crate though, it was e-collar time.

Our vet wanted the stitches in 14 days, maybe take them out at 13. Well 13 was a Sunday, so I talked her into 12 days. HKs incision had healed well and the vet took them out. I was happy, and I think Hershey was also.

The hardest part was keeping her quiet for two weeks. She just about drove us nuts trying to find inside games to burn some energy off and not be strenuous. I don't think I cold count the number of times I rolled a tennis ball down the hallway.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

LiloLab is offline Junior Member

Thanks everyone, we were a little worried since this was our first doggie that underwent this type of surgery.
    We are hoping for a quick and safe recovery, she is still quite groggy from today. Thanks again!

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

They have to shave her, but it will grow back. Don't worry!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Okay! We have all given the serious helpful response to the question. Now its time to have some fun.

These dogs are hair factories. They just keep on growing it and growing it, and growing. They grow so much of it, they have to leave the excess everywhere they can find space to hold it. you clothes, furniture, carpet, floor, bed, car, truck, ..... And when you decide that you have to help them get rid of some, take her outside on a day with a mild breeze, mid to late spring is good, and start brushing her. The balls of fur will be scattered all over lawn. But don't be concerned about that. They will be gone in no time at all. The birds love the stuff as nest building material.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    Okay! We have all given the serious helpful response to the question. Now its time to have some fun.

These dogs are hair factories. They just keep on growing it and growing it, and growing. They grow so much of it, they have to leave the excess everywhere they can find space to hold it. you clothes, furniture, carpet, floor, bed, car, truck, ..... And when you decide that you have to help them get rid of some, take her outside on a day with a mild breeze, mid to late spring is good, and start brushing her. The balls of fur will be scattered all over lawn. But don't be concerned about that. They will be gone in no time at all. The birds love the stuff as nest building material.
    I have raised many wild baby birds and have been collecting bird nests for years. I must have over 40.

I have yet to find a nest made with my Labradors hair. I would love to add one to my collection. Every year I search and am always dissappointed.

I have a promise for you, but you have to remind me next spring. Send me an email next May and I will collect a Robyn nest with a high quantity of Hershey's or Newman's hair in it. I have already gotten rid of this years which was probably 40% Newman hair.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    I have a promise for you, but you have to remind me next spring. Send me an email next May and I will collect a Robyn nest with a high quantity of Hershey's or Newman's hair in it. I have already gotten rid of this years which was probably 40% Newman hair.
    OMG that is so wonderful of you. I would truly love a Hershey/Newman bird nest for my collection.

Your email address is hidden though. I will mark my callendar to remind me to contact you hoping you will still be on this board so I can PM you.

Or if you want you can send me an email with your address and I will put it in a file and contact you in May that way. My email should be visible here. If not go to www.snowcolabradors.com (PS: if you go to the bottom of the gallery page you will see pics of the Robin "curly" I raised last spring)

Thanks again, you're a doll.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast