Black Lab Cross - sore, peeling, lips.

Thread: Black Lab Cross - sore, peeling, lips.

JamesMax is offline Junior Member

DefaultBlack Lab Cross - sore, peeling, lips.

Hi folks,

I'm hoping someone with experience of Black Labs or Black Lab Crosses can help me with this one.

Our Black Lab Cross, Max (hence my username, I'm James), recently had a paleness appear in the corners of his mouth, where the top and bottom lip meet. I noticed the paleness on Friday last week and thought perhaps it was just him growing up ... he's only 18 months old.

This skin is, of course, black but after going a pale colour it's began peeling away on his left side and has left a very sore looking pinky colour. We've got him booked in for the vet tomorrow to let them take a look, but it is concerning us (naturally). The right side has not begun to peel away yet, but it looks to be affecting both sides ... almost looks like a skin pigmentation?

He's no less active, he still eats and drinks fine, and still chews his toys as actively as ever, but this corner where the top/bottom lip meet on his mouth looks really sore. It looks similar to how we humans get chapped skin in the corners of our mouths, especially during the cold months, but the rough texture black skin on Max's lips has cracked and fallen away, leaving this smooth, pink, and almost raw looking skin.

Any ideas on what it could be, how serious it may be?

Here's our boy:

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kpowell is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Black Lab Cross - sore, peeling, lips.

I can't offer any advice, but just want to say what a cute guy he is!
    Jack's Mom

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Never heard of that James. I'm curious to see what the vet says now.
    Max is adorable!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I know you can give kelp to restore pigment in yellows but don't know about blacks as I have never had this issue.

I would discuss skin disorders (types of mange) with the vet. If your vet is stumped and you think this is more than just a loss of pigment I would consult a holistic vet.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

did he get into anything that could have burned him, chemically or otherwise? Does he seem sore around the area?

I don't have any advice to offer, but keep us posted on what the vet says, I'm interested to know.... never heard of that before...
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

JamesMax is offline Junior Member

Well, firstly I'd like to thank those who replied for the warm welcome to the forum!

Secondly, my girlfriend and I are just home from the Vet with Max, and he has a touch of Dermatitis, and has a 10 day course of antibiotics to clear it up. The Vet doesn't think it's going to be a long lasting case, because apparently dermatitis in dogs can lead to flaky skin around the eyes as well, which Max doesn't have. He seems to think Max has picked it up from something in the garden or from a stick he picked up while out walking. We did take him to Loch Lomand three weeks ago (we're from Glasgow, Scotland btw!), and he was walking around proudly with large tree branches in his chops, taking them into the water, etc ... so this could well be where the bug/bacteria got into his system from.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Glad to hear it is minor. Hoping the meds do the job and he is healed quickly.

Aint no way to keep a Lab from getting his chompers on a big old stick. I have them strewn all over my yard. They are one of my Labs favorites. Even with all their store bought toys. I call them the poor child's toy. LOL