Switching from Diamond to Evo

Thread: Switching from Diamond to Evo

DefaultSwitching from Diamond to Evo

This is 2nd part to the protein/fat levels...Saber will be 5 in Nov. and he perfectly fine with just lying around all day. He has never fit that "chocolates are hyper" crap!! Obviously I was feeding him WAY to much as I was going by the recommended feeding guide and that was fine when he was about 3 1/2. My question is... How do you calculate how much to give him? I hate to starve him. Btw his thyroid was fine. Thanks again. Sabersmom.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Switching from Diamond to Evo

Aaaargh! I hope someone knowledgeable responds. I am very frustrated with the manufacturere recommended feeding schedule. I am convinced their motivation is to sell more food.

If you have the guidelines for determining if the dog is over/under weight, I and come up over weight, I would feed the dog 80% of whatever the bag recommends and monitor the dogs weight on a weekly basis. Almost any vet office will let you bring the dog in and weigh them for free. My vets office has the scale out in the lobby. They even ask me what the weight was and enter it and the date on her records for no charge.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Oh he is def overweight.. I don't have guidelines but at this point and time I don't need it. My vet's office allows us to come anytime and do a weigh in and then inputs it into his records. Thanks...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

For what it is worth, my son's Lab Newman was over weight. he is a tall field type and had gotten to 125 lbs at one point. The vet put him on a strict 2 cups morning, 2 cups evening, of adult maintenance (any of the major quality brands) dog food. NOTHING ELSE. No treats of any kind and as much exercise as my son could manage. Newman is about 90 lbs now, has been for 3 years, and is thin if anything. He does get treats on Sundays now. When my son is feeling really guilty about not treating him, or Newman has been exceptionally good, he gives him a couple baby carrots, of a half apple.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I have never gone by the guidelines on the bag. Its a gimmick. The more you feed the more often you have to buy a new bag.

Cut him down so that he slowly looses weight. In humans if you drop weight too quickly you also loose muscle mass and I would think its the same in dogs.

The guidelines for humans is a loss of 2-3 lbs a week to lose fat and keep it off.

For instance if you are feeding 4 cups per day cut him back to 3 3/4 for a bit and slowly decrease. doing it slowly will keep him from feeling deprived.

You can also add "cooked" string beans to add bulk and help him loose but still be filling him up so he won't miss the decrease in kibble.

Thank you.. that helps. I'm guessing green beans should be no salt and rinsed?

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Yes, no salt and rinsed if you are feeding canned and they contain a lot of salt.

Keep in mind that large amounts of raw string beans can be toxic from my research so you are bessed with canned or frozen steamed beans.

good luck and let us know how he does on his diet.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I have 3 and all different sizes, weights and activity levels, and they get what probably amounts to 3 cups a day. 1 cup of kibble and a couple of tablespoons of canned for each meal (2x a day). Hudler had never looked better than he does now. He's even starting to lose that yoke of fat around his neck. He never looked heavy, but he's starting to regain his puppy figure...and he's over 6. You can even tell with his energy. I also attribute it to him being on a good food and the canned he gets is 95% meat, so he's eating less crap.

Most people who feed Evo feed about 1 cup per feeding, so about 2 cups per day. If you feed too much, chances are you will be dealing with loose poop.