OFA heart and eye clinic?

Thread: OFA heart and eye clinic?

DefaultOFA heart and eye clinic?

For those of you that have gone to one of these.. what exactly do they do? what are they looking for? a friend of mine that breeds Goldens and is a member of the golden retriever club is encouraging me to take my lab Coal at least. said its a good way to get a cardiologist and ophthalmologist to look at him.... was just curious about the process and what they look for... will ask her too...

she was just tellling me that its a lot cheaper at one of these clinics to get them checked.. (25.00 for eyes and 30 dollars for heart)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: OFA heart and eye clinic?

In a Lab they're mainly looking for TVD for the heart but will listen for any abnormalities. Usually a cardiologist will listen to the heart through a stethoscope and if they hear anything, they'll recommend an echocardiogram.

For the eyes, they are looking for any abnormalities in the eyes such as cataracts, retinal folds, PRA.

It is much cheaper to go to a clinic like that than to go into the office.

Laura

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I would do it if you have the option of a clinic. I did a clinic for Optigen and saved a shload of money compared to if I just did Optigen on my own.

We haven't had a heart clinic around, so that's one test I haven't done yet.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Our local all breed club does a CERF clinic every year (have since 99 when I began to chair it, now I do the cardiac chairing when needed). Every few years, we'll do the cardiac clinic too (only 1 cardiologist who travels in WA), but since that is a one time clearance, we wouldn't fill it consistently if offered annually. Our regional lab club began recommending cardiac clearances several years ago. Optigen will likely be next, as I see most are doing it anyhow. There is usually one satellite 20/20 optigen clinic (for PRA) per month, so it's not that tough to work around. I just had my vet clinic pull the blood and I shipped. Actually w/ the first time, my vet drew blood on 3 of our dogs at no cost-- because her dog was one of them--- and the other 2 of us paid the shipping. 8)
    There's lots of ways to work things out if you are creative! -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

What do they do?

For the CERF clinic, they put drops in each of the dogs eyes and you wait around trying to keep your labrador from playing with every Sheltie, Rottie, and Golden who are not allowed to play, by the way, about 5-10 minutes until the eyes dialate.

Then you will be brought in past all the other non-playful, well mannered dogs into a dark room, where the opthamologist tries to look at your labradors eyes intently, without being slobbered to death or doing the rub rub rub my belly dance.

Then the best part...paperwork! This means your labrador gets to flail on the floor for 5-10 minutes while you are digging through paperwork whilst your lab shows his/her privates to all the aforementioned good dogs. He/she may also chew the lead or nibble your fingers while you attempt to write and fill in those little circle jobs that everyone hates!

As for the heart clinic, same crap, only no drops or dark room, only the cardiologist and a stethescope and a quick wrestle to get the lab to think he's not getting a big old hug from a stranger, which is near enough to causing cardiac arrest.

The cerf clinics around these parts can be from 25-40 bucks, and the cardiac clinic, from what I remember was 35.

Doing my "big" girls is a walk in the park! Ever try doing CERFs on a litter of 7.5 wk old puppies??? The 85 mile drive to and from the clinic alone is soooooo delightful, esp if one of the pups decide to have the runs like the last time! :-\

No, I agree, the clinics are a GREAT deal. Go for it!!! CERFs are only good for 1 yr though, just keep that in mind. I never feel out of the woods til year 8 or so (and that's already knowing Optigen/PRA status)! -Anne

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I agree clinics are great and much less expensive.

However, I would not take a litter of 7 to 8 week old pups to a cerf clinic. Too much chance of exposure. We go directly to the clinic with our litters.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowco Labradors
    I agree clinics are great and much less expensive.

However, I would not take a litter of 7 to 8 week old pups to a cerf clinic. Too much chance of exposure. We go directly to the clinic with our litters.
    That is what I meant by driving the 85 miles each way.... That said I *did* do one litter 8 yrs ago at our local KC clinic-- my litter was first in (I chaired the clinic, so perks came w/that price!), completely sanitized place, and honestly, was probably the safest CERFs on a litter I've ever done.

A few years ago, a friend took 2 litters of 7 wk olds for CERFs to the ACVO's clinic. The ACVO leased from another vet. She pottied her puppies in the grass outside since her drive was 120 miles or so, and guess what? She brought parvo home to 28 puppies (had a litter of 3 wk olds at the time too). All 28 (all 3 litters) were gravely ill, several died... Ever since the ACVO started calling everyone to make sure we had "safe" potty spots for our puppies and highly encouraged having as well of vaccinated pups as possible. That's when I started using Neopar at 5 wks, followed by core combos at 7 wks, after that friends' experience. Anymore, I am not sure how "safe" any place is to potty puppies in my area. And as for other clients, I've had more naive pet people come up to my puppy crate w/ "Fido" sneezing in on them than I care to think about. -Anne