Not chewing food

Thread: Not chewing food

Karolyn is offline Senior Member

DefaultNot chewing food

Harlee has been on a special diet (soft food) for close to a month now, I have been slowly introducing dry food back and today let her have 3/4 of a cup without any soft food. She ate her food whole and threw it all up ( all whole pieces), I guess because she is used to eating the soft food. What can I do to get her to used to chewing the dry stuff?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Not chewing food

Why is Harley on this special diet of soft food? How old is she?

Most Labs don't chew their food so I don't see that being the reason for the vomitting.

What food are you feeding? Have you checked the expiration date on the bag?

Harlee is 13 weeks, she had problems with diarhea and the vet had her on a bland diet for a while. In the last two weeks I have slowly been adding dry food back and reducing the wet food. Today she ate it so fast within 1 minute I am sure, she had 3/4 cup.

I am feeding Eukanuba and its a new bag. She has been eating it every day I just assumed because she ate it whole and she inhaled it that was the reason for throwing up because she was fine before she ate, she threw up about 5 mins after eating and was fine again.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kpowell is offline Senior Member

IMO, Eukenuba is not a good food. Check out www.dogfoodanalysis.com for some ideas for good food, remembering that grain free foods with high protein are not good for puppies. She may be eating the dry dog food too fast. Try putting it on a cookie sheet to slow her down.
    Jack's Mom

imported_VHLabs is offline Senior Member

I have fed eukanuba for years with great results. Everyone has their opinion on foods...so one may believe eukanuba is bad as previouse poster and some think it is great. I have great skin,coats, stools with eukanuba. I will not use anything else. Do I think there are better foods out there...ABSOLUTELY!!!!... but I like euk and have good results from it. It works for my 7 (going on 8) dogs.
    As far as your pup throwing it up...go slowly with introducing the new food. Sounds like you have a sensitive stomach dog with his own issues. I dont believe it would be the food. Most of my dogs swallow their food whole. Good luck.

labby is offline Senior Member

Funny, people scream against Eukanuba and Purina yet all the other dog food companies use their research. LOL

Laura

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

When Brigetta was younger she was on Eukanuba LB puppy and did well on it. She had issues with other foods and that's what worked for her. When I switched to adult, she had problems again with just about everything I tried. We finally found a food that agreed with her sensitive stomach (California Natural).

Brigetta used to inhale her food. It was gone before I could turn around and she would end up throwing it right back up. I was afraid of bloat, so I started putting her Busy Buddy squirrel or kong in the middle of her food bowl to force her to eat slower and she was fine. One day (and I have no idea why) she stared chewing her food and eating slower.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Thank you, I fed her dinner last night and breakfast this morning (no wet food) I did as Balloo suggested and added water. Seems ok so far!

THANKS EVERYONE

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

"remembering that grain free foods with high protein are not good for puppies"

This is not true IMO. Hi calcium is a concern but not grain free or hi protein. In my research and speaking with a vet who studies this the calcium to phosphorous ratio is the main concern and that it is the proper ratio for pups - the amount of calcium comes second and the source of the calcium is also a factor.

I know breeders feeding Orijen to weaned litters and pups are developing properly. Their calcium is lower than Evo or Natures Variety at 1.4 to 1.8 in their formulas. Orijen is around 42 +% protein.