protein and fat levels....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: protein and fat levels....

Defaultprotein and fat levels....

I'm trying to get weight off of Saber.. I don't want to give him "diet" food so my question is, is the protein level as important as watching the fat level? and what would be the highest level you would recommend on both? I currently have him on Diamond 21% protein and 12% fat and he does fine on it as far as stools. He has lost a few pounds but I had to cut him back even more so he gets 2 cups morning and 1 1/2 evening which is what he should get for his goal weight. I just feel like I'm starving him because at his weight right now he should be getting 4 to 4 3/4 cups. Vet recommend I cut his food back from the 4 cups to what he is getting now. Thanks for any input..Sabersmom

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: protein and fat levels....

That's a lot food. My dog is 95 pounds and gets 2-1/2 cups of food a day. His food has 430 cal/cup. I have never fed anything near what the bag says to feed. If I did, he would be FAT!

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

I don't know of any labradors that eat 4 cups of food a day. My girls get 3/4 cup of EVO in the morning and at night, for a total of 1 1/2 cups of food a day.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

For me that is not enough protein or fat. I like the protein at least 25% and fat over 15%.
    My adult male who is about 88 lbs is fed about 3-3.5 cups a day. Not sure of the age of your dog or energy level but that seems like a lot.
    Kim

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I don't know of any labradors that eat 4 cups of food a day.
    Mine do! or close to that amount anyway.

For me that is not enough protein or fat. I like the protein at least 25% and fat over 15%.
    It could be a hypoallergenic food. The food I am feeding has 21% protein and 12% fat and is hypoallergenic. That said, I feed half raw so the lower levels or protein don't concern me.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I forgot to say, how active is Saber? you can justify 4 cups if he is very active but if he is inactive you most certainly want to cut back. My dogs get 3-4 cups a day or 2-3lbs or raw but they are very active. If they were inactive even my boy with a super fast metabolism (you wouldn't believe how lean he can get even on a large amount of food) probably couldn't justify the calorie intake.

Saber isn't active anymore. He was at one time and was very lean then 1 day he just started putting on the weight and before I knew it he was over weight. I have been able to get about 1 lb a month off of him by cutting his food down. He did weigh 111.3 and is down to 106.4. I guess I really need to do some more research on dog food analysis. So it really isn't so much the protein or fat levels. I like the Evo ingredients but I would have stayed away because of the levels of protein and fat. Thanks for everyone's help. Sabersmom...

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Well there's your answer. He's not active and he's getting 4 cups of food per day. What kind of food do you feed him? You shouldn't go by what the bag recommends, they always up the amounts (so you buy more food!). Most average dogs get 2-1/2 to 3 cups per day total, split into 2 meals. My guys are getting only 2 cups because I have them on EVO red meat.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

dogmom is offline Senior Member

Have you checked his thyroid level? Low thyroid would cause weight gain. Have it checked with MSU.

Quote Originally Posted by sabersmom
    He was at one time and was very lean then 1 day he just started putting on the weight and before I knew it he was over weight.
    This is a red flag. I second the opinion that you need to get his thyroid levels checked. This a very common symptom for thyroid problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast