Puppy on 2 meals a day

Thread: Puppy on 2 meals a day

Tucker. is offline Senior Member

DefaultPuppy on 2 meals a day

My puppy isn't ever that hungry. The breeder recommended we feed him 2 meals a day. I know a lot of people recommend 3 meals per day but I am pretty confident if I put down a meal at lunch it would not be eaten.
    Right now he eats his food over like 5 minutes but leaves some in the bowl. He eats some, leaves the crate, eats some more. I guess I expected him to be more crazy for the food. He gets excited when you bring his food out but once you put it down he isn't all that pumped anymore.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Puppy on 2 meals a day

Has he always been like that? if so, congratulations! you have a self regulating Lab. I can tell you now that having a self regulating Lab is so much easier then having a food glutton. Life with a dog that is totally obsessive about food (I have two of those) is NOT fun because you have to be on your toes all the time. Whereas with self regulating dogs you don't have to worry about them over eating, scavenging, counter surfing, trash raiding or them pulling you over while on a walk to lunge for that stray pizza crust or chicken bone carelessly thrown on the ground.

I read in your other thread that your pup is only 8 weeks? I would be feeding him four small meals per day, not two. I would also cut back a little to encourage him to eat more. Let him eat all he wants in ONE sitting. Don't just leave the food lying around. That encourages finicky eating habits. Pick it up immediately after he walks away.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    Has he always been like that? if so, congratulations! you have a self regulating Lab. I can tell you now that having a self regulating Lab is so much easier then having a food glutton. Life with a dog that is totally obsessive about food (I have two of those) is NOT fun because you have to be on your toes all the time. Whereas with self regulating dogs you don't have to worry about them over eating, scavenging, counter surfing, trash raiding or them pulling you over while on a walk to lunge for that stray pizza crust or chicken bone carelessly thrown on the ground.

I read in your other thread that your pup is only 8 weeks? I would be feeding him four small meals per day, not two. I would also cut back a little to encourage him to eat more. Let him eat all he wants in ONE sitting. Don't just leave the food lying around. That encourages finicky eating habits. Pick it up immediately after he walks away.
    WOOT! There is such a thing as a self regulating dog? Yes the pup is about 8 weeks and weighs 10 lbs. So I should just throw like 2.5 cups of food in a bowl for the day and put it down 4 times a day?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Many suggest smaller meals throughout the day, but Baloo's been on two meals per day since we brought him home and has done fine.

Also, in the first week/two weeks he would pick and nibble at his food, rarely finishing it all in one sitting.

Now, he inhales it like it's goin' out of style.

I've found that making them do something for their food and waiting to be released by you builds their anticipation for the food, which helps them finish it all in one sitting.

When Baloo was really little, I'd just make him wait a little while (5 secs or so) before eating. I.e, when he'd go to eat I'd push him back gently and say "ahah", wait for him to look at me, then say "all done!" (his release word - still used) and let him eat. Now, I put him in a sit-stay until I release him (once he learned the commands)
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker
    WOOT! There is such a thing as a self regulating dog? Yes the pup is about 8 weeks and weighs 10 lbs. So I should just throw like 2.5 cups of food in a bowl for the day and put it down 4 times a day?
    It is very beneficial for the dog to eat when you put the food down

This way they learn that food comes from you, therefore you are pack leader.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

There is such a thing as a self regulating dog?
    Hard to believe, but yes!

So I should just throw like 2.5 cups of food in a bowl for the day and put it down 4 times a day?
    If you don't want to feed 4x a day you could do 1 cup morning, 1/2 a cup at lunch and 1 cup at dinner but ultimately the decision is yours. If he is leaving parts of 2.5 cups you might want to reduce the amount slightly and feed smaller portions.

This is very interesting. Thank you.

TobyBlackKenobi is offline Senior Member

I'm definitely not an expert but maybe your puppy doesn't like the food? This was our problem when we got our puppy. The breeder gave us a pack of IAMS puppy food and Toby didn't really like it. We changed to a different food and he went crazy for it. But this is just a thought.
    Toby&#039;s Mom<br />California Central Coast<br /><br />

I'm pretty sure he likes it. I tried to switch to my own food but it didn't go over too well. So I went back to completely his old food.