EVO question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EVO question

Piper is offline Member

DefaultEVO question

I've been considering switching Piper (6 yo) to Innova EVO Red Meat food. She does not have food allergies per se, but she has environmental allergies (inhaled molds and spores) that tend to be aggravated by certain food choices. I've had her on allergy shots and California Natural L&R for years with excellent results, but she's in an itching/gunky ear crisis I'm having trouble getting under control (with the vet's assistance, of course). Long term use of steriods to control the itching is not acceptable to me. I fed Piper raw in the past for a while with good results, but it's personally not something I feel I can manage right now. I'd like to consider trying her on the EVO dry food as a raw alternative.

After all that, here's my question . I've searched here to read people's opinions on EVO and found a few mentions of it not being appropriate for puppies. I also have a 6 month old puppy in the house, who is currently on puppy food, who I had planned to transition to adult food over then next month or so. Could I NOT change her to the EVO food? At what age is feeding EVO appropriate - and why? I couldn't find any reference on their website to appropriate age or life stage, although I did notice there is no puppy formula.

Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise.
    ~Michelle~<br />I Love my Piper &amp; her lil&#39; sis Cassie &amp; My Twinkies<br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: EVO question

EVO (and any of the grain free foods from other manufacturers) are NOT designed for Large Breed puppies. WHY? Simple....too much calcium. I know with Nature's Variety Instinct, the calcium is 2.49% and the top limit that you should feed a pup is 1.5%.

I would not use a grain free formula on a dog under the age of 18 months. I would want to make sure it's completely done growing.

Piper is offline Member

Thank you. In all my research trying to find a new food my mind was so boggled I couldn't figure out what the EVO/puppy issue was. Calcium, so easy, I should have picked that out.

I'm assuming a mouthful here or there would not hurt her, correct? I just know she'll end up with her nose in Piper's dish every so often. If even a small amount would be harmful to Cassie I will reconsider choosing it for Piper, although I'm feeling like my options are somewhat limited as I really don't want to go back to raw feeding. I'm just not comfortable having the kids around raw meat.
    ~Michelle~<br />I Love my Piper &amp; her lil&#39; sis Cassie &amp; My Twinkies<br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Nick is offline Senior Member

I think that's a safe assumption. I really doubt a few mouthfuls of EVO would add enough calcium in the pup's diet to cause any problems.

kpowell is offline Senior Member

I thought the issue was protein?
    Jack&#039;s Mom

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Look at Orijen - calcium levels are from 1.4 to 1.6 in their formulas and it is grain free.

It is high in protein at about 42% but I have been in touch with breeders feeding it and they have weaned litters on it that do wonderful and have grown properly.

www.championfoods.com

I was corresponding recently with a veterinarian who has studied this and he feels the calcium/phosporous ratio is more important than the calcium alone. He also feels Evo is a better choice than Natures Variety Instinct and Orijen because of the quality and source of the ingredients. He does feel that the cal/phosph ratios in all 3 of these foods are safe for dogs (the age we discussed) 1 year and up.

However, at 3.03% cal. in the Evo I would not put a pup under a year on this and would prefer to keep up with the breeders and their results on these grain free foods and how their dogs develope - before I will consider grain free for my weaned pups in the future.

Dani is offline Senior Member

I feed EVO regular to my 4 year old and Innova Large Breed Adult to my 5.5 month old puppy. He'll stay on the regular Innova formula for awhile and while he does well on it. I may never switch him to EVO...Rider was out of necessity for his engery levels....
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

imported_Nick is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kpowell
    I thought the issue was protein?
    Nope, research has shown no correlation between the amount of protein and growth problems. The problems are due primarily to calcium, total caloric intake, exercise, and genetics.

Piper is offline Member

Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to give the EVO Red Meat formula a try for Piper. If we don't get her itching under control I may try the Orijen 6 Fish, since she gets tummy upsets with anything poultry based. I'm not sure just what has her allergies going so haywire this summer. I usually have a really good handle on keeping her virtually symptom free. Something is definately up.

Sadies Paw is offline Member

Orijen's 6 fish seems to be a great food. I hope to switch Sadie over to that in the future. She is currently on the Acana Salmon and Potato and she seems to be doing well on it thus far.

Anyways, I know that the calcium percentage is important, but I also thought the calcium-to-phosphorous ratio was just as important. I can't remember the details now but I thought I have seen discussion about it on here before. Anybody know?

Also, Sadie was on Iams LBP before the switch to the Acana. I just searched their site but they don't list the calcium anywhere. I don't remember what the calcium content was or even if I ever knew. Anybody know?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast