Hard Lump on Back Before Tail
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hard Lump on Back Before Tail

DefaultHard Lump on Back Before Tail

Hello,

Zack has a hard lump on the left side of his back, a little before his tail. He's been running and walking, jumping up on the bed, etc just like normal and is in no pain. The bump feels hard (not soft) and is about an inch in diameter. If you press on it really hard he notices something, but with just simply touching it he doesn't move.

I noticed this bump about 4 months ago, then it went away. Zack is a very active dog, lots of swimming and fetching. I live in a building so he has to walk and down stairs, but there's been no notice of pain whatsoever. He'll be 5 in the fall.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Maybe he just injured himself ir over exerted himself?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Hard Lump on Back Before Tail

I wouldn't mess around with any hard lump that's found. My 2 year old Frankie just had a mast cell tumor removed, which thankfully the surgery removed any cancerous cells (for now). AngusFangus' Angus is having one removed tomorrow I believe from the base of the tail.

Please make an appointment and have it checked out. I hope it's nothing.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

krisinme is offline Senior Member

Time for a vet Visit.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Absolutely time for a visit. That's where Dixie had a MCT. Any new lumps should always be looked at by a vet.

Laura

I am facing a similar problem too. On Sat I felt a bump about the size of a golf ball on Baxter's left side near his rib. I am uncertain at this point whether it is or isn't something that I need to worry about. Since he at one time was very overweight it could very well be fatty tissue. When I touch it he does not react at all so I do not think it hurts him as I have palpated it pretty hard and no reaction. Could be just his rib but when he is laying there you can see the bump area if you know what your looking for. I have felt the other side and it is not on the right side just his left side. So made appt for the vet for tomorrow and we shall see if its something to worry about or not. I hope not seeing that I JUST got him. I would take him to the vet just to get it checked out for your own piece of mind.

Kelly

Thanks Kelly. The description you gave me is exactly the same as Zack. It's on his left side, the size of a golf ball, and isn't that noticeable. I'm wondering if he just hurt himself playing. I've made an appointment with the vet tomorrow. We'll have to "swap" diagnoses.

Thanks Again
    Scott

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Scott, I'm glad you made the appointment. What Kelly described sounds like a fatty tumor (harmless). The hard bumps need to be checked immediately. Keep us posted, OK?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

BudGirl8 Guest

Can I ask a question about a lump while we're at it?

Billie has a little tiny hard bump, behind her ear. I think it's about the size of a pea, maybe a bit smaller. Same thing as everyone else is talking about, no reaction to me pushing or pinching on it.

Should I be having this checked out? Is it only the larger bumps that are worrisome or is it all bumps?

Well had our vet visit this morning and yup your right jzgrlduff that is exactly what it was! I thought too that it might be what it was. He aspirated it and looked at it under the microscope and said it was a fatty tissue and not to be concerned unless it grows. Also he looked in his ears and took a sample and he has begining of bacterial infection so he gave me some ear drops to use twice a day. But the biggest news is he now weighs 95.9#!! At one time he weighed 120#!!! His ideal weight is 82# so we have a little more work to do but I am excited that he has made so much progress! Alot of it was made while being fostered but hopefully in 4 months for a recheck of the ears he will lose a little more. I did read while waiting to be seen on this fatty lumps that a common place for them is also near the tail. Budgirl when you look there do you see anything or just feel it? Just thinking ears are a nice place for a tick to get in but most likely you would see it and feel it also.
    Kelly

Hello,

Well Zack is back from the vet and I'm worried. The vet took xrays and showed us the area where the lump is. It's over an inner bone, and that part of the bone has deterioriated slightly. Basically the lump is "protecting" the deteriorated bone. They took some cell samples and we'll know more in a few days.

I'm hoping for the best, but the deteriorated bone scares me. From the xray, it looks like a something has eaten away at that part of the bone. From the research I've done, there appears to be a high probability of cancer, but who knows. Zack is in no pain, he is still running, swimming, jumping, and playing like he usually does. If it is a cancerous lump, I really hope we caught it in time.

Has anyone heard of this kind of situation before? And if so, what was the end result?

Thanks
    Scott

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast