First tick ever! YIKES!

Thread: First tick ever! YIKES!

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultFirst tick ever! YIKES!

Meg has a pretty nasty bite between two rear toes. Tudor pulled the tick out, got the head. The site is pretty red and she won't put any weight on that paw. Did a "search" here and see some of you treat the bite with peroxide + antibiotic ointment. I used the peroxide + cortisone cream (no Neosporin at the moment).

Fortunately we treated all the dogs with Frontline+ just 2 weekends ago, but I'm still concerned about Meg getting sick.

Anything else I should do? If she appears ill at all in the next 24-30 hours I will get her to the vet.

We've never had ticks before!

Seamus and Flynn

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: First tick ever! YIKES!

How big was the tick? Had it engorged with blood.

As a general rule, if you get the tick off within 24 hours, you are safe. It takes a long time for the virus to infect the host via a tick bite.

Ticks are as common around here as cockroaches. I am constantly pulling them off myself, and the dogs as well. Frontline (and other products) really do not stop ticks from attaching, but the tick generally will die if it's on the dog too long (rather than engorge itself and drop off to reproduce).

gerst001 is offline Senior Member

was the tick alive? frontline should kill the tick within 36 hours of biting, which is prior to it being able to transmit lyme. Some ticks will just fall off dead, others will just stay attached, even though they are dead.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Oh, it had gorged itself I guess. About the size and shape of a very fat lady bug. We determined it to be a common "brown dog tick" and Meg is seeming to be her usual self this evening. Good appetite, good play, just hobbling around on that one leg. She gnawed her own toes pretty badly in the attempt to get the offender out.

Thanks very much for your replies, all.

Seamus and Flynn

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I will tell you, from personal experience, that having a tick attached makes you VERY itchy. Even after pulling the suckers off, I am destined to have a very itchy spot there for a couple of weeks.

Try putting some Benadryl creme between her toes

Thanks, Linda. I did that and she's snoring peacefully right now. I'll sleep with her on the futon tonight. Poor little miss. (Meg... not me!)

Seamus and Flynn

Paula is offline Senior Member

I hadn't seen this about Meg. I only read what you wrote else where about the ticks. I usually don't visit this part of the forum but just decided to tonight. Poor Miss Meg, I hope her foot feels better.