Panacur

Thread: Panacur

sophiegirl is offline Junior Member

DefaultPanacur

I see here that a lot of people have experience with usung Panacur for Giardia. Can you tell me if it is normal while on Panacur that the pup's diarrhea will get worse? I am at my wit's end here. My 12 week old puppy started with loose, mucusy, very foul smelling stools almost 1 week ago. She was having accidents in her crate at night with it, which is not like her at all. I added rice to her meals and took her to the vet to get her stool tested. The vet didn't find any parasites, but said giardia was difficult to find. Anyway, she prescribed Flagyl 250mg for 7 days, and said that would get rid of anything she might have. Well, I contacted the pup's breeder because I like to keep her informed of what's going on. She freaked out and said Flagyl should never be given to puppies because it can cause neurological problems. She said my pup should be on Panacur. I went and bought some Panacur and started her on that last Friday. She told me once a day for 3 days. Meanwhile, before I actually started the Panacur, my pup's stools started to firm up, and she didn't have any accidents in her crate for 2 nights. I thought things were getting better. So, the Panacur was started Friday, and this whole time I am still giving her rice with her food. Over night Friday, she again has a terrible accident in the crate, and the frequency of her stools is increasing. Again, same thing last night and this morning. Her stools are runny and mucusy again. I feel like I'm gonna lose it. I just want to do the right thing for her. My vet tells me one thing, the breeder says something else and meanwhile my pup isn't getting any better.
    Does Panacur make the stools worse while it's ridding the pup of the parasite (if that's even what she has!). Is Flagyl dangerous for puppies? Can anyone offer any advice?
    Thank you for reading.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Panacur

It can take a day or two for anything to start working. Of course some dogs have reactions to different meds and maybe yours can't take panacur.

Was their something actually found in the stool? I had a puppy here that was being wormed on a regular basis and ended up vomiting and not feeling well. I knew it couldn't be worms because she had been on panacur so I took her to the vet and we checked the stool anyway just in case. Negative. Ok so maybe she ate that leaf she had been sniffing and upset her tummy. So we put her on Flagyl, like you said it will help parasites and bacterial infections, and within 2 days she was feeling better.

I've had to put pups on Flagyl and I've not seen any neurological problems. My first choice is always panacur since the Flagyl doesn't seem to work well for giardia here.

What are you feeding your dog? Maybe the food is too rich?

Laura

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

My dogs do well on Flagyl, and did receive it as pups. Happily (and knocking on wood) we have not had a bout with it in nearily a year. (and saying that will likely result in a poop fest tomorrow!)
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I'm glad to hear Flagyl has been given to pups.........just in case I decide to give it to her. Nothing was actually found in her stool, but the vet wanted to treat her anyway. If she actually doesn't have Giardia, the Panacur wouldn't help at all then, right? That's why I'm so frustrated on what to give her. I was also thinking she can't handle the Panacur. Also, it is in a paste form, and maybe it's the paste that's making her stools worse?
    My pup has been on Purina Pro Plan puppy chicken & rice since we brought her home. Today is her last dose of Panacur. I thought I would give it to her. See how she is tomorrow, then start the Flagyl if she's not any better? I don't know in what direction to go next.
    Thanks guys, for posting.

labby is offline Senior Member

Panacur kills all types of internal parasites except coccidia and tapeworm.

Maybe you're dosing with the paste (its for horses) is too much.

Laura

I'm wondering about the dose as well. A chemist figured out the dose for me. They also do the dosing for the breeder as well. I'm purely going on their knowledge. I do have to say that this breeder is very knowledgeable and has an excellent reputation with breeding and also judging labs. I'm saying this because I have a lot of respect for her, so I listen to what she has to say and tend to go by her recommendations. Now of course I am wondering if I should've just listened to the vet.

Thank you.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Ah, so you can give the horse panacur... just gotta figure out the dosage

Just wondering....

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Did you finish the course of flagyl? It's easy to create antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria by not finishing antibiotics..

I would listen to the vet, myself - before stopping or changing medications, clear it with the vet first. Vets aren't omniscient, but they HAVE had extensive education and practical experience.

No, I didn't finish the Flagyl. She only had one and then the breeder freaked out, so I freaked out thinking I was doing harm to my pup. I am going to put her back on it tomorrow. She was supposed to be on it for 7 days. I have the 6 left. We are back to the vet next Monday so I guess I'll see where we are at that point. I pray that by then either the panacur or the flagyl will have worked. After all this mess of hearing one thing from the vet, and another from the breeder, I'm just going to refer to my vet.
    Thanks for all your help.