Incredible itching

Thread: Incredible itching

JeffG is offline Senior Member

DefaultIncredible itching

Ty lately has REALLY been itching alot. You can see his skin now showing through his coat on his underside. I am very confused, as he's on frontline plus. In fact, when I gave him his dose last week...within about 30 minutes directly around the applied area you could see several tiny dead fleas on his coat....so it seems to be working...but he's still itching terribly.

I've always been wondering if he has some reaction to his food...he never seems to have been doing exceptionally well on it. He's currently on Diamond Naturals L&R LBP. I'm increasingly eager to switch him to the C&R adult formula...but he being almost 10 months...going on the advice on this forum, I want to wait til at least a year before switching him.

Any ideas? I guess I could take him to the vet, but we're closing on our house this week and money is extremely tight the next couple of months. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Incredible itching

When did the itching start? before or after the Frontline was applied?

I have found that Frontline topical spot-ons can be ineffective for some animals. If there are still fleas in the environment (your house) he could still have them. It might be worth re-checking him for fleas. I would also treat any other animals in your household and clean your house, especially the carpets/couches/beds etc., throughly. Those little buggers can be a real pain to get rid of.

He's currently on Diamond Naturals L&R LBP. I'm increasingly eager to switch him to the C&R adult formula...but he being almost 10 months...going on the advice on this forum, I want to wait til at least a year before switching him.
    You'll get a range of opinions on this (some never feed puppy food, some say 6 months, some 12 months...) but IMO, you can make the switch to adult food now.

JeffG is offline Senior Member

He's always seemed to itch...but alot more recently.

And how do I check for ticks anyway? And we have no other animals, etc.

I think we will go ahead switch him to the adult formula when this bag is out. Thanks!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

my pup storm has been itching alot lately too. i do use frontline and i just happened to take storm to the vet today to start his heartworm prevention. i asked the vet about his itching and she checked for fleas and couldn't find not one. most of his severe itching is on his belly , so the vet said it could be many different things that were making him itch such as; grass, carpet , ants. she didn't mention a possible food allergy either.
    she told us that if his itching gets really , really bad and that it seems to be causing too much discomfort for the dog.
    i could give storm a benadryl

Tuckersmydog is offline Senior Member

He could have allergies...Tucker used to itch like CRAZY...it actually took a couple of years to diagnose, but he has really bad allergies...I give him Tamaril (sp??) everyday year round and he is on Royal Canin Duck and Potato...very limited ingredient diet and has been doing GREAT! Some other symptoms he had (not sure if it is related) were constant ear infections/stinky ears...you might want to have it checked out at the vet...good luck!!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

If he has "always" been itching on and off you might want to consider taking him to the vets for allergy testing.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

If you SAW fleas on him, he is most likely suffering from flea bite dermatitis. It only takes one little flea bite to start the itching. I know, Ruger suffers from this.

I use Frontline on him every THREE weeks in the summer months here to control his itching.

gerst001 is offline Senior Member

get CAPSTAR - you can order it online. It works with 30-60 min. With a couple of hours, every flea on the dog will be dead. You can use it every single day if need be.

I would bring the dog to another place, give the capstar and wait 2-4 hours and see if tghe itching stops. If so, it was fleas. If not, it is something else.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Flea Bite Dermatitis can go on even if there are no fleas on the dog. It's a reaction to the flea bite, and it can last several weeks after the fleas are gone.