10 week old puppy - After Giardia treatment

Thread: 10 week old puppy - After Giardia treatment

Default10 week old puppy - After Giardia treatment

My Puppy, Teddy, was diagnosed with faint Giardia and treated with Panacur for 5 Days - which did make his already loose stools go to diarrhea. A few days after he finished The Panacur course his tools were pretty loose so he was put on 1/2 a 250 mg tablet of Metronodazole - twice daily - he has had 3 doses. Initially the stools started to firm up but then they went back to diarrhea last night - He now has reduced appetite - seemed hungry - eats a bit then hesitated then stopped after a 1/4 of a cup. I will be calling the vet but any advice/experience would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I would not be feeding him kibble at this early stage in his recovery. Did they not recommend you feed boiled ground beef or chicken and white rice? That is much easier on the gut to break down. He needs a very bland easily digested food.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Thanks for your reply Sharon - Yes chicken and rice was always a godsend with my beloved 15 year old lab who passed away last year. Teddy has been on mostly boiled chicken and rice but the vet wanted me to add back the dry. Yesterday Teddy seemed dubious about the chicken and rice (after the Metronidazole started curbing his appetite). We have stopped the "Metro" for now (this was only prescribed to help with the diarrhea) and are monitoring his stools. Have you ever had much luck with canned pumpkin?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I've never used it (I've not really had much of a diarrhea issue - more upchuck with my dogs) - but from what I understand it is a good method of firming up poop. You don't want pie filling, but simple canned pumpkin. Like a tablespoon or so in the meal.

I sure hope he feels better!
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

My pup had giardia when he was about 8-10 months old. Same thing, treatment, more loose stool, another treatment... same story.
    Keep going back to your vet - it took us about 4 or 5 different treatments (over the course of almost 2 months!) to completely get rid of it. I was told there can be some stubborn strains of giardia. Plus there is always a chance that your puppy can get dehydrated from the diarrhea. Saba did and he had to receive IV with fluids.
    Keep at it - and make sure you rule anything else out - have you changed his food once you got him from the breeder? That can cause loose stools too. But if they keep testing him for giardia and it keeps coming up, then he simply needs more treatments.
    Good luck, I know it's a lot of work - especially getting up few times a night to let the puppy out when he's sick.
    Hope he gets better soon!