Food question sorry its so long!

Thread: Food question sorry its so long!

DefaultFood question sorry its so long!

Ok.. Baxter has been with us for going on 3 weeks now. We have kept him on what his foster had him on which is Iams weight management for large breeds. I have not taken him to the vet yet as he is up to date on all his shots and was seen while in foster home. So I will ask all of you knowledgeable people! I give him 1 cup in the Am and 1 cup in the Pm. That is what his foster said she gave him so we kept it at that. She also said she wet the food a little to make it easier for him to digest. The thing is... I have been noticing that when we feed him its like he is sticking his nose up at the food. Sort of like he may not like it. He will take one piece out and eat it then walk away from it. My husband keeps saying he does not like the food lets change his food. He will eat it but not right away. Sometimes an hour or more later. Last night I came home and the evening food was only half eaten. On the other hand he is a BIG water drinker! His foster said he was and she was not kidding! How much water is too much in your opinions? I will fill the bowl and in no time its empty. I come home from work in the evening and the bowl most times is empty because he drank it all. I fill the water bowl maybe 3-4 times up until 2 Pm when I go to work. Maybe he needs a bigger water bowl? Its about the same size of his food dish. He urinates a good amount each time and there have been no accidents in the house. So what is your thoughts on Iams? Is there another "weight management" food out there that may be better for my boy? He really does need to stay in that category. He has come a long way but he still needs a little bit more off him I think. He has been eating that food for at least 4 months now. Maybe I am just used to the lab mix that I had that would eat the food as soon as I would put it down and have it gone in no time. Any of your opinions are appreciated!

Kelly

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Nick is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Food question sorry its so long!

How many times a day does he urinate? That seems excessive based on my experience, but that's not saying much. I would talk to your vet about this. I think I'd want to make sure everything checks out medically, then maybe you can look at behavioral issues.

As for food, I think now that he's been with you for three weeks and he's starting to become adjusted I'd starting looking for a better food. I'm not at all crazy about weight loss/control foods. By design, they have poorly digestible ingredients so they digest fewer calories and loose weight. I prefer more digestible foods and just control the calories by increased exercise and portion control.

TKwingrider is offline Member

We feed a little less of the regular food and split a can of green beans between our two. Mine don't like weightloss foods either. We tried a bag of Iams weightloss and the water consumption was crazy! I think it makes them thirsty.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I would be concerned about all that water consumption and urinating.

How old is he? I would take a urine sample to the vet. Catch first sample of the morning in mid stream before and food or water intake.

I would also consider checking kidney levels thru blood work.

It sounds like you need a food change. Something with few to no grains should help with weight. you will feed less food if grain free. Be sure and compare the calories to old food and feed the same amount (or you may need less calories as you monitor his weight).

TK what did you find as an alternative for the Iams? Intresting that you noticed that with your dog too hmmm... something to think about! He is 4 years old. I watched him again today to see how much he drank and today I only filled the water bowl twice and half was there when I left. As for his urinating.. When he first goes out he will urninate a large amount if he is in the back yard then that will be it. If we are on a walk then its a little bit on this tree a little bit on that tree... I would just call it marking. There have been no accidents in the house. I think it will not hurt to get a sample from him just to rule out UTI. He has already been checked for thyroid due to his weight and that came out ok. His hips are ok too and I want to keep it that way! Thanks for your answers!

Kelly

TKwingrider is offline Member

At the advice of my vet, we switched them to Purina Pro-Plan large breed. They get a cup in the morning and in the evening another cup and share a can of green beans (rinsed because I can't find salt free here).

We have used regular Iams, Diamond 60+ and Eukanuba. They (finally) ,are happy with this food choice.