chronic diariah
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: chronic diariah

Defaultchronic diariah

I need help with my 5 months old puppy. She has been doing great with food and her stool was always normal even when we would introduce her to new things, she would have a loose stool but, it would normally fix itself up the next day or so with us removing it or giving it in very small portions. Until 4 weeks ago! It all started (i think) on thursday, 4 weeks ago. She developed a bad case of diariah to a point that she had an accident in her crate while we were gone for 3 hours. We thought this would get fixed in the next day or so and gave her boiled rice, hard boiled egg, yogurt and imodium. That didn't help a bit, it was very, very runny and almost gel like at the end. So, we had the vet give us some sort of doggie pepto on Saturday. She was on it for a week and it was helping good AS long as she was on it. A week later, when we didn't have it anymore, it went back to normal. Ok, so, we are back at the vet's. This time, she was examined (she was fine, and still is, very playfull, interested in food, not showing any signs of pain or saidness or anything, no gas either). She was given some form of anibiotics and it really wasn't very effective, not as effective as the first. On Sunday, we brought her stool for analysis and on Wedn, it came back negative. What???? And this is two weeks later with diariah. The vet would call us for a follow up mid week and i would tell them that it's not really good. Ok, so, we waited for this med to help and again, once done, we regressed. So, then, the last med we picked up this past Monday was S250, another form of anibiotic. This seemed to help her right away and she had a great stool, the best in 3 weeks but, the next day, we are back to that diariah. I really don't know what to do anymore.

The vet suggested we do the culture test but, how is culture test more beneficial? What if that comes negative and this test is not cheap and we already spent $200 on all the meds without getting anything back from insurance and while this is expensive, i am also worried about what this is doing to the puppy and her insides and her grows. Again, she is active, happy and hungry
    On tuesday i gave up with meds and researched that hermal meds can help with diariah as well. So, i got her Goldenseal capsules which has been used by native american as antibiotic and rasberry leaf tea which is supposed to absort the liquid from the stool. Now, i'm pretty satisfied with this herbal med (in the past, the puppy always responded better to herbal medicin than regular meds, such as cranberry for UTI) however, i can see that there is no consistency in her stool. In the morning it's good, in the afternoon, she had first pile of poop good then, second one, completely wet, diariah like. I don't know what is going on! How can antibiotics help her and yet not cure it and how can the test result have shown negative when antibiotics help? Also, i read somewhere that giving metamucil should help as well as probiotic supplement with acidophilus. I am thinking of trying that before going for the culture test (which i hope not to do since i don't think it will work). Could it be that when we gave the stool for test after she was on med, the med itself gave false results?
    If you read till the end, i thank you and hope you give me some advice.
    Oh, we did introduce new food to go with the old food (old food-TLC, new food-Wellness) but, the new food came a week after she started diariah. Also, we experimented with food by taking the new food completely away and it didn't work. Also, two days before the onset of diariah, i saw her licking something off the groud. I suspect that could be the reason but, again, the test didn't show anything! What to do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: chronic diariah

Geez, how frustrating this must be for you. .

Mucous poop/diarrhea are often signs of a food allergy of some type. Did the vet allergy test her? I'm not sure how they do that, but I know they do it. My Tucker had the same poop problem when he was little and we couldn't figure out why. FINALLY, we figured out he was allergic to corn products. As you probably know, most foods and treats have some sort of corn product in it. He was about 5 or 6 months when we figured it out. I put him on California Natural food at that point and it cleared up immediately.

I hope you can figure it out.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

My first thought is Giardia... it does not always show up when tested for.
    Hopefully Labby/Laura will see this she's the expert on Giardia

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

could also be Coccidia which can be hard to spot too. Once its in the yard (can come from wild animal feces) it can remain. I beleive it may be the same with Giardia but not sure.

It bugs me when vets just keeping presribing antibiotics without a diagnosis.

Metamucil should help but can take a bit of time.

I would ask if the vet is checking the stool sample in house or sending it out to the Lab. If its done in house take in another sample and ask them to send it to the lab to be checked for both cocc. and Giard.

I would want an answer to either coccidia or giardia before just giving things to stop the diarrhea and possibly covering up a serious problem.

I also know of someone who had a dog with hookworms and it took 4 or 5 tests to finally spot it and diagnose it.

Good luck. I sure hope you get some answers and soon.

Dani is offline Senior Member

allergies wouldn't be showing up this soon in a pup...I'd say she either has coccidia or ghiardia or there is an intolerance to the food you are feeding...what are you feeding?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

labby is offline Senior Member

Not sure where you are, but I'd be asking your vet about treating for giardia even if he doesn't find any cysts in the stool. Common treatment is 7 days of panacur, followed by 7 days off, then another 5 days on. Panacur isn't cheap, but its very safe and effective against giardia.

I'd be curious about what you are feeding also. I have a girl who gets diarrhea if she eats a chicken based food. She is fed a lamb based food because of that.

Laura

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

allergies wouldn't be showing up this soon in a pup
    Really Dani, how come? Tuck was the same age. Curious now....

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Hello everyone,

I am the puppy's daddy, the original poster is my wife. She is in the kitchen cooking right now, so I will reply for her!

My wife called the vet right away after you guys suggested Coccidia and Giardia... both not found in the stool check. What exactly is panacur?

As to what she is eating, here we go:

1) TLC. This is what the breeder feeds her dogs. We had to feed her this for the first little while to keep the insurance guarantee.

2) Wellness. We are trying to different kinds, one lamb and one duck. We want to slowly take her off the TLC and move to Wellness because we have heard good things about it.

Of course we feed her other things as well such as peppers, fresh green peas, sometimes carrots and cherry tomatoes, teeny bit of avocado, peanut butter, dairy products every once in a while like yogurt, cheese and frozen yogurt.

We also rotate doggy treats like: Wellness Well Bars (peanut + honey), Wellness WellBites (Turkey + Duck, Chicken + Venison), Milk Bones and Beef Jerkey Treat from Reward.

We also use hot dogs as high value treats in the park for training.

So that is about all that we feed her. Everything in moderation, except for the kibble of course.

She also has a bunch of bones that she likes to chew on.

My wife also bought some medicine called Kaoectate for kids that she was told might help.

We are starting to get really worried about this and we are running out of ideas. We are going to try just feeding her the TLC and see how that works out. We shall see.

Any advise is greatly appreciated!
    Phil

labby is offline Senior Member

IMHO you're feeding her too much "crap". Cut out all the treats and the veggies. IMHO you are overloading her digestive system with all these extras.

Laura

Dani is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jzgrlduff
    allergies wouldn't be showing up this soon in a pup
    Really Dani, how come? Tuck was the same age. Curious now....
    Generally speaking...they are not "mature" yet. The average time that allergies begin to show up in dogs is between 1 and 3 years of age...of course there are exceptions to this...but rarely. And less than 5% of dogs with allergies have food allergies. Many people confuse intolerances with allergies. As Laura said, she has a dog that gets the squirts on chicken based food...doesn't mean she's allergic to it...means her stomach doesn't like it. Same goes with me and any spaghetti sauce with heavy green peppers....I'm not allergic to peppers or marinara sauce...but the combination makes my system go nuts.

So...just placing the "allergy" label on a dog because something isn't working...isn't fair unless you spent the time and money to get your dog tested...and like humans, dog's allergies change or disappear as they age.

Sorry to Hijack...to the OP...I'd agree with Laura....for now...let the pup have just the kibble and cut EVERYTHING else out. Use kibble for training for now. Give her tummy a break.

Also...did you request for them to check for coccidia or ghiardia or did they tell you that none was found. I always specifically ask for those to be tested if I suspect it.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast