Bad Gas
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Gas

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultBad Gas

Anyone have a dog with bad gas and find a way to cure it?

Maddy is very stinky!!! She was sleeping on the bed with us last night and just letting them rip (sound effects and all). She's on a high quality grain free kibble, a high quality canned diet to supplement, and gets about 6 different supplements for her ED and general health.

Something is definately causing it. I wonder if there is an ingredient in what she's eating that could be causing it....

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Bad Gas

Just because a kibble is a high quality doesn't mean it will agree with every dog. That's why the $1M question around here is "what is the best food to feed my dog?" Well, the best food is the food that the dog does best on. What is best for mine may or may not be best for yours.

Case in point... I put Murray on the same food that Essy is on (Eagle Pack Holistic Chicken). Murray had horrible gas/bloating and bloody diarrhea. It's a good food but it obviously doesn't work for him. I put him back on his old food (Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul) and all the issues went away. I decided to put Essy on CS (trying to keep both dogs on the same food) but she developed anal gland issues on it so she's back on EP, Murray is on CS, and everyone is happy and healthy.

In your case, it could be the kibble, the canned, the supplements, or treats. It will be a process of elimination. Mine are on supplements recommended by Essy's breeder. I have friend's who put their dogs on the same supplements. Most are doing great but 2 dogs could not tolerate them. They are all individuals.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Jen, you know I am feeding the same food, and don't have a gas problem.

Could she have gotten into something in the yard that she ate and is having trouble digesting? If so it probably just has to work its course.

If the gas continues you could try digestive enzymes.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

The gas comes and goes with her. My hubby used to give her cheese and once that stopped, she stopped passing as much gas too. But that was a long time ago. She's been on this food awhile and hasn't had the gas before. I did change the canned, but didn't think anything in the NV Instinct cans would do it. Only NEW supplement is the Ester C.

I guess I can put her back on the kibble, old canned (Avoderm Chix/rice) and minimal supplements and see if the gas stops.

I would hate to put her back on the food rollercoaster, especially since our yard is big and the girls both use it, so there is no way to tell how the food is effecting her digestive system just from poops.

Patty, what digestive enzymes do you use? We tried prozyme before but noticed absolutely no difference with her taking it and not taking it.

I use Dozymes Digestive Enhancer with mine. http://storesense4.megawebservers.co...tail.bok?no=36

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Jen,

I don't use any because I don't have a problem but I recently spoke with a canine nutritionist for over an hour at this site http://www.naturesfarmacy.com and I was very impressed with her knowledge. She has sent me a bunch of info I just have to find the time to go thru it all. This is the same site where I was talking with one of their vets regarding calcium/phosphorous in the grain free foods and growing pups and posted in the other forum.

Their product is Dogzymes

I wasn't aware you were feeding the gassy dog canned food. I am only feeding the Instinct kibble.

I use many of the supplements from Nature's Farmacy. They are very knowledgeable. They also have a vet they consult when they don't have the answer. They helped my friend with supplements for her dogs (one has Addison's, the other has Valley Fever)

Quote Originally Posted by Snowco Labradors
    I wasn't aware you were feeding the gassy dog canned food. I am only feeding the Instinct kibble.
    She does get some canned with the Instinct. But again that's not new. Only that we tried the NV Instinct cans. Maybe it's the fruits and veggies in it...she won't eat them normally....maybe because she knows her body doesn't want them.

I'll check out the enzyme link. I hate giving so many supplements though. Because of her ED, she gets G/C, MSM, Glycoflex...and we also give fish oil and Vit. E and now the Ester C.

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    Because of her ED, she gets G/C, MSM, Glycoflex...and we also give fish oil and Vit. E and now the Ester C.
    Then you might be interested in the supplements I use from Farmacy West:

CranTriC - combines all three Vitamin C types: Ester, Sodium Ascorbate and Ascorbic Acid blended with Cranberry powder. (Cranberry provides a whole food base necessary to allow Cells to correctly utilize these C-vitamins). This blend is extremely effective for urinary tract issues and an animal with C-supplementation needs.

CCM - Bone & Joint formula (organic blend of Glucosamine and Chondroitin (organic green lipped mussel) and MSM) with the addition of an exclusive herb package for maximum bone, joint, arthritis, dysplasia, injury, growing puppy or old dog syndrome situations. This unique phyto-nutrient pack is known to promote bone and joint health as well as being highly beneficial to strengthen soft tissue.

Digestive Enzymes - Contains high levels of 5 beneficial bacteria types and 6 enzymes making it one of the most complete digestive products on the market.

Ultimate - Formulated to be the most outstanding supplement available globally using our strict guidelines and sourcing for vitamins, minerals, trace minerals, and amino acids. Designed to replace individual supplements of vitamins+ minerals+ amino acids.

I have found that when I increase Dakota's food...he gets gas..so I have to back down. I've definately seen a correlation between too much kibble and gas.
    Jackie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast