Thread: New Lab owner, question on food and poop

tinymusic is offline Senior Member

DefaultNew Lab owner, question on food and poop

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: New Lab owner, question on food and poop

You are going to get a lot of responses about food. Since you have a vets appointment,speak first with your vet in regards to the poop and the food that you should be feeding. Some vets sell dog food and they might suggest what they carry,that's not necesarily a good thing as it might not be best for your dog.

Labs are sensitive to food and can have food allergies. Dry flakey skin(dandruff).poor looking coats, ear problems can be attributed to the food you use. Please consult your vet and search this forum for food posts. There are tons of posts and it can get confusing.

I look at the ingredients,just like I do for human food. I prefer corn to be around 7th or 8th in the list (I'd rather not see it at all). It is a long process to find the right food that is good for your lab. My dogs do well on the food I chose yet other peoples dogs might not. It's trail and error.

It's not as bad as it's sounds it just takes a little time.
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

tripleyellow is offline Senior Member

Hi and welcome.

Dump that crappy Ole Roy and get some good food into that dog. Dont' just FILL his bowl twice a day...read the bag and feed accordingly, well, usually you feed less than the bag says so just use it as a guide.

The reason is poop is so nasty is because the food you are feeding is nasty. Sorry to be so blunt but that's really it in a nutshell. Dump the milkbones as well. Go the meat market or your local butcher and ask for a cut femur beef bone ( if you dog tolerates beef) and use that as a treat..he will love it!!

Has he been to the vet yet? While you can dicuss food with your vet, be mindful that most vets are just clueless when it comes to canine nutrition..they will however suggest you buy the bag of food they sell..Science Diet or Euk..neither one not quality food in my opinion.

You can find a good quality kibble right in Wal Mart..it's called Natural Life Lamaderm..no wheat, yeast, soy, corn, dairy, or beef. It's cheap..less than $20 for a 20 lbs bag...just read the bag carefully regarding feeding amounts.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Ole Roy isn't a good food and that could very well be the problem. I also don't think I would "fill the bowl" twice a day. The average dog will get 1-1/2 cups twice a day.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Quote Originally Posted by toahiaph
    Like I said we were given the rest of his food and told how much he usto eat by his previos owner.

The bag said to feed 7 cups a day!

We will be going food shopping tomorrow night and get a small bag to try out.
    any suggestions on good brands to try or to stay away from would be great!

He's very muscular and lean for easting so damn much.

We got the milk bones from the previos owner as well, a huge box full.
    The reason he needs to eat 7 cups of Ole Roy is because he's basically eating sawdust..ok not really sawdust..but it's full of fillers and to get anything near useful out of it he has to eat ALOT of it. And he will be lean...he's not eating anything healthy and he's just crapping it out.

When do make the switch, take a least a week to switch over to the new food and keep him on the new food for at least a month or 6 weeks. You can't really tell if a food is working if you change it more often.

Ideally, you should be staying away from anything you can buy in Wal Mart ( Natural Life is an exception and imagine my surprise when I found it..and yes it's the same formula as always) Dog chow..ick. Beneful..double ick. Pedigree..ick...Gravy Train..ick ick. Alpo..smells like playdough for ick for sure! You get the idea. LOL

Nutro is good. Diamond is good. Eagle Pack is good. There's alot to choose from...just please dump that Ole Roy and Milkbones ASAP. Paul Newman has some really good treats out there and so does Three Dog Bakery..all can be found in the grocery stores..even in my small hick town. LOLOL

georgie is offline Senior Member

Yes, do the switch slowly. Labs are all different in what works for them. My girls eat ProPlan & do well. Shiny coats, clean ears & nice stools. But again, what works for one lab may not work for yours. Sometimes you have to try several before you find the one that works for your dog. Look at the ingredients, meat or whatever is the main one should be the first ingredient. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by toahiaph
    When you say take a week to switch over , do you mean.....

slowly mix in new food with the old, more and more until its all new food?
    Yes. I'm sorry. I have this problem where I think everyone knows what I am talking about!

Sometimes if you don't change over slowly you can really upset their digestive system..but..I doubt his can get any worse then it is now.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Over feeding can also cause loose stools.

I would be sure and take a stool sample to the vet when you go just to be on the safe side.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

My girls eat ProPlan & do well. Shiny coats, clean ears & nice stools.
    Alot of people here feed Purina ProPlan or Purina One and they are decent food and a bit cheaper.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"