Nail infection

Thread: Nail infection

DefaultNail infection

Wondering if anyone else has dealt with this.
    Jack has had a nail infection for nearly two months now. When we first saw the vet for it, they gave us a round of Cephalexin (antibiotic). That didn't seem to really help. On the return visit they tried a round of Clavamox (another antibiotic). That hasn't seemed to help much either.
    It doesn't seem to really bother him, but is slightly sensitive if you squeeze it.

Below is a picture of the foot. The affected toe is to the right.

Anyone have any experience with this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Nail infection

No experience but it looks sore poor baby.

Since the antibiotics aren't working I would consider seeing a holistic vet.

I would also give him probiotics to put good bacteria in the system to help fight off the infection. Especially since he has been on antibiotics which kill the good along with the bad bacteria.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Obviously, the diagnosis and treatment are wrong.

Are you close enough to Philadelphia so that you could go to their VetMed Teaching Hospital?

http://www.vet.upenn.edu/

My Bess was having toenail trouble and the local (very kind & pleasant) vet we used at the time said it was from digging in the backyard and kept giving her shots of penicillin without benefit. One evening, a child psychiatrist friend and his wife were at our home for dinner and Bess was schmoozing him later. I mentioned the paw problem and he lifted it up and sniffed and said, "it's a fungal infection -- antibiotics won't help."

He was right and that was one of several reasons I take pets to K-State's CollVetMed Tchng Hospl. Better diagnostics, more appropriate treatment, less expensive in the long run.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Phili. is a bit of a trip for us.

He has a vet appoint. tomorrow for another issue. I'll try to get the vet to broaden his thinking and mention the fungal thing.

Thanks for the input.