Post Spaying problems

Thread: Post Spaying problems

DefaultPost Spaying problems

Hey there I have been looking through the forum and reading all the spaying stories, good and bad! We just had our Ava done last Friday. I have read where some of the dogs have had some mistakes in the house. Just wondering for those of you in this boat, how long did the "mistake period" last? She has had a couple of mistakes in her Crate as well as in the house, mostly our fault for not seeing the signs, but she was pretty well potty trained prior to the surgery. I have also noticed a bit of swelling around the incision and redness around the sutures, which the vet said to keep an eye on and get back to her if it gets any worse, any stories to make me loose sleep over on this?

Thanks in advance!
    JAJ

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Post Spaying problems

I think you are referring to post spay incontinence. I have never dealt with it but I do not think you would see that problem so soon after her spay.

Could it have been that she was still groggy from the anesthesia?

When is she due to go back to the vet to have her stitches checked or removed?

On a couple of the incidents that could have been the case...but a couple were well after the anesthesia had worn off. Which was why I was reading thru some of the posts. I did notice that people had mentioned their dogs having some accidents in the house after spaying but no one ever really said anything about how long it went on.

She is due to go back around the middle of next week to get the stitches out.

Actually she seems to be doing much better lately, definitely more like herself. I think I was partly, overreacting a bit too. After talking with others about some of the things I was seeing with her, I came to the conclusion that she is having a typical week after surgery and that I was worrying a bit too much.

Thanks and if anyone else wants to chime in feel free!
    JAJ

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Glad she seems to be doing better. And I understand overreacting. We all worry so much about our babies.

Hoping she continues to improve.

I'm glad she's doing better. If she has post spay incontinence it will likley not go away on it's own from what I understand. There is medication that will help control it though that is very effective from what I've heard.

I am sorry to hear this What was recommended to me by my vet was to put a sheet down while Gidget slept to see if she truly is incontinent. She is but he gave me Proin which stopped it within a day. Good luck and keep us posted about it.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I thought Post Spay incontinence happens later, not right away. But I don't know, I never experienced it.

Your girl could just be recuperating and it will take her time to get back to her normal self. I know when we picked Maddy up from the vet she was so happy to see me that she peed all over the floor and there was a little blood in it...but once she was home, she was back to normal.