minor tail injury
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: minor tail injury

scutter is offline Senior Member

Defaultminor tail injury

We put our dog in a kennel for the first time while we were gone for aprox 2 weeks. A few days after we picked him up I noticed that at the end of his tail the hair was missing and that it appeared like it had a small sore spot. He wags his tail constantly and I assume that he rubbed it while in the kennel. My question is will it heal naturally and will the hair grow back. Also he came back with not kennel cough but a hoarse cough. Will that get better??

Just wondered if anyone elese had experienced anything similar

Thanks

Scutter

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: minor tail injury

Are you sure its not kennel cough? If you go to the vet for this be sure and tell them it might be KC so they can give you the last appointment of the day so as not to expose other patients.

I don't know what to tell you about the tail without seeing a picture.

We had the shot before we put him in the kennel. It is not a cough but rather a deeper bark like he probably barked too much. He had kennel cough once before when he got out and was picked up and taken to the dog pound. The kennel cough was much different than what he has now. It seems almost like he has a sore throat????

The tail injury is about 1" of tail where you can see the sking without any hair

Thanks

Benelli's buddy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Is there a chance that someone was to rough with him on a leash where he was being kenneled?

You may want the vet to look at him to be sure there is no injury to his throat.

Have you asked the kennel if he was barking constantly as this would give you a better idea if it just something like laryngitis (sp).

Also if I remember correctly (have never had a KC) my vet said that there are different strains of KC and that Bordatella vaccination may not cover all of them.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

We had the shot before we put him in the kennel. It is not a cough but rather a deeper bark like he probably barked too much. He had kennel cough once before when he got out and was picked up and taken to the dog pound. The kennel cough was much different than what he has now.
    "Kennel cough" is not caused by one particular bug but, rather, is a name for a condition caused by any of many bacteria and viruses.

For that reason, while "kennel cough vaccine" helps guard against infection by a number of these vectors, it does not guard against all of them. [See Giffin & Carlson, "Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook", Chapter 10, The Respiratory System.]

There's a good possibility your Lab has a different strain of KC and that the shot did not protect him from it.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Thanks for the input, with each day that passes he gets more of his voice back. Tonight he is better than last night. Other people have told me that thier dogs have gotten hoarse when they went they came back from the kennel. I really don't think this is a cough but more like a sore throat or laryngitis???
    I was more concerned about his tail and wondered if there was some sort of ointment or spray that people use for minor cuts and scrapes. BAck in Arkansasa, a farmer friend of mine use to keep some sort of purple spray that he used on virtually every animal on the farm. I have put a call into my vet he was off today but is supposed to call me tommorrow.

Thanks

Benelli's buddy

Its tough to tell you what to use on his tail as he will most likely just lick it off.

Have you heard from your vet yet today?

I did talk with my vet yesterday. He said to keep an eye on the tail and on the bark. He also said that it was not uncommon that dogs go to a kennel and get invovled in a barkathon and end up straining thier vocal chords. Usually they heal themsleves with a little time. The tail is a difficult spot to put anything topical on. He said that if the tail were to get infected then we would need to use an oral medicine to treat the infection. Otherwise it should heal on its own and the hair should grow back. So we will just have to wait and see.

Thanks

Benelli's buddy

You could try putting vit. E oil on for hair growth. Or teetrea oil with E. Most dogs don't like the smell or taste of the Teetrea and will leave it alone.

thanks for the reply, the vitamin E oil is a good idea. I want to make sure that his tail is healed before hunting season and putting him in the water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast