Dry coat & skin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry coat & skin

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

DefaultDry coat & skin

Saba is hypothyroid and is on pills (takes one pill 2 times a day). So I know if for some reason we miss pills, he gets coat issues, but aside from that, I find lately that his coat gets a bit dull looking, and when I brush him, I see a lot of white dandruff-like flakes. In the fall & spring he had a great coat and skin, so maye it's a summer thing? I wonder what I could give him to moisturize his skin and make the coat not so dry. He also started to get some split nails. It's not a major problem and I don't believe it requires a vet vist to spend $100 for him to tell me that I could just put some oil drops in his food. Anyone experienced this and has suggestions? Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dry coat & skin

What are you feeding him?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

everydog is offline Senior Member

When was the last time his T4 levels were checked? You may need to adjust his thyroid medication.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

He's on TLC. I'm not sure if it's food related though. His coat was always really good on this food. It seems it just happened in the past few weeks. His levels were checked about 6 months ago I believe. Good point, maybe it is time to check it again. Maybe the dosage has to be up-ed.

labby is offline Senior Member

You might try adding a can of sardines to his food once a week.

Laura

Thanks Labby! Sardines in oil I assume? I'll buy some and I'll try adding some. I'm sure he'll love it...

labby is offline Senior Member

Sardines in water. The oil is usually soybean oil and most dogs don't do well with it. Just dump the whole can on his food, water and all.

Laura

tripleyellow is offline Senior Member

I feed mine Jack Mackral and holy moly all they have to do is SEE the can! And if the pantry door is shut all the way..they will collect the cans in their crates..silly dogs. LOL

BudGirl8 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    Sardines in water. The oil is usually soybean oil and most dogs don't do well with it. Just dump the whole can on his food, water and all.
    Crud. I thought the oil would help, in addition to the fish. I have several cans of the ones in oil. I didn't even think about it being soybean oil. Duh! I'm glad I haven't been feeding them to Billie lately.

gerst001 is offline Senior Member

more fat in the food will make it all go away with 2-3 weeks. The food you are feeding probably does not have enough fat in it for your particular dog. You can add oils and stuff, but changing the food will eliminate the need to supplement.

IMO though - fish oil has many proven benefits. It is one of the only suppliments that have been proven to be affective for many things. That is the only supplement my dog gets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast