Supplement help please...

Thread: Supplement help please...

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultSupplement help please...

When did/do you start? (with glucosamine, etc., etc....)

Should I supplement or no? Does anyone know pros/cons..? Are there cons to supplementing with glucosamine/chondroitin..? Can they have too much in their system..?

Any guidance would be great, I just want to do the right thing!! :P I don't want to be kicking myself for not supplementing when I should have, or supplementing when I shouldn't have.... you know what I mean? :-\
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Supplement help please...

It is a nutriceutical, not a pharmaceutical or drug, so "overdosing" usually isn't a huge concern. It can potentially cause some gastrointestinal effects when given in larger doses or to dogs sensitive to it, though.

We didn't start supplementing ours until they were about 6 months old. I wouldn't start too early....but no need to wait until they're old and arthritic either.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I started Magnum and Ruger at about a year old. They compete and train hard. Magnum has had ACL surgery as well. They are on it for life.

Remington will begin taking it as well when he's about a year old.

I need to take it myself, but I run out of money... so I make sure the dogs get it first

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I start with MSM on my own at a rather young age, and use just a pinch in their food at first, increasing it slowly w/ weight. I read somewhere recently that MSM may actually help protect against certain parasites like giardia, btw. I'll give the full 1000mg by 6 mos or so.

I start glucosamine sulfate at ~4 mos (split one cap btw am and pm), and increase to the full adult human dose once the dog hits 50# or so. -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I feed Puff G&C and give her half of my daily dose. I started her at 1 year old hoping to ease the arthritis Bess got when she was older.

Puff gets 750 mg. Glucosamine and 600 mg Chondroitin (Costco's Kirkland brand).
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748